Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Another bee question

The user and all related content has been deleted.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Could you leave it until the Autumn?  Or even just leave the base so they aren't disturbed. In autumn  all the bees except the new queens will die. the queens will hibernate.

• HuntertonyHuntertony Posts: 88

Definately be very careful as bee's are quite heavily protected these days. If they are the fat bumble-bee types, could be solitary bee's, so you could try providing a new home which they can move into?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Huntertony, not sure what you mean by 'quite heavily protected'.  Bees of all types have no legal protection at all.  And if you read this forum for any length of time you will realise that some of the posters resort to chemicals as soon as their plants are threatened.

Admittedly there are less posters advocating the worst of the chemicals and sprays lately, but I'm sure many have still got the chemicals stashed away somewhere.

There was a piece in the newspaper quite recently stating that the chemicals remain in the soil for a long time, so the valuable beasties are not safe yet.

• Outdoor girlOutdoor girl Posts: 286

Rather than destroy the nest, you could use a large shovel to pick up the entire nest and move it to a  sheltered spot in the garden similar to their current abode.As they are under a shed floor, covering them with a box and waterproof roof should suffice.

If they are living in the ground, dig a shallow hole, cover it with a flower pot and ensure they have side access for their workers. 

This should be done in the evening at about dusk so that the foragers do not 'lose' their home. It is an easy thing to do and will ensure your pollinators continue to thrive!

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

They do get lost very easily. I have one at the base of my garage and I have found a few wondering around the garage unable to find their hole since I'd opened the door. I usher them out and close the door and hope they try again. You see them looking around as they leave as if thinking 'everyone remember where we parked' , it's very cute.

• Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 19
    Welshonion wrote (see)

Huntertony, not sure what you mean by 'quite heavily protected'.  Bees of all types have no legal protection at all.  And if you read this forum for any length of time you will realise that some of the posters resort to chemicals as soon as their plants are threatened.

Admittedly there are less posters advocating the worst of the chemicals and sprays lately, but I'm sure many have still got the chemicals stashed away somewhere.

There was a piece in the newspaper quite recently stating that the chemicals remain in the soil for a long time, so the valuable beasties are not safe yet.

Is that true? Were they ever protected at one time? At school (many moons ago) we were told never to kill bee's because they were protected and that has always stuck! image