Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 46 replies

Dovefromabove

Wow, I got 5017 points 

We've really been working at increasing our bee-friendliness, and now that we've created two 'sunny beds' we can grow so many more plants that provide what the bees need.

I must say, we never have a problem with pollination on our beans 

Last edited: 18 March 2017 18:00:56

Hostafan1

3967 , but it kept freezing saying

Can’t find what you’re looking for?

even when I was clicking on colours, or months.

Kitty 2

I got 3,947 🐝.  We've already had a few big fat bumblies coming into the conservatory over the past fortnight. They seem to sit on the windowsill for a bit of a warm up and then buzz off again 

Nice link Mark, thanks πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Advertisement

Hostafan1

Do I need to up my game before the Bees arrive next month?

BobTheGardener

4,984 but I have been going out of my way to plant bee-friendly plants for quite a few years now.

I certainly do hosta! My only excuse is I'm gardening from scratch on a newbuild garden a year old. The site gave me lots of suggestions of plants to grow, my score was just above the average for my area😟

Snap Nut- 5874 . I have a lot of wild flowers and soft fruit

Last edited: 18 March 2017 18:50:56

nutcutlet

Great raisingirl, I have wildflowers and my pears/apples/cherries are the wild version as well. I think they count as they get smothered in bees

Mark56

I'm pleased, my second year of gardening & everything I've brought so far has been bee friendly. We can help by avoiding double flowers & attracting queens with lots of early spring flowering bulbs. I wonder if there's a similar check list for honeybees. 

Well done everyone 

"£400 million is contributed to the UK economy by bee pollination" - this part had me gob smacked. 

We have a lot of bumbles and other solo bees because the barn has old cob walls and they make little burrows in it. If you stand by the southern end of the building on a sunny day it sounds like the wall is humming 

A place for them to live is the other part of the measures we can take to help - food and shelter

Last edited: 18 March 2017 18:57:48

Hostafan1

Bright star. It's not a competition. We all do our bit. New gardens take time.

Hostafan1 says:

Bright star. It's not a competition. We all do our bit. New gardens take time.

See original post

And I've got a very large garden, mostly given over to weeds and wildflowers. Most people wouldn't have the space for so many different plants. I am very lucky.

Advertisement

3857 for me....seems I have a little way to go.  Have seen bumblebees and two butterfly species so far this year.

Great link Mark ... scored 5374 here.

We are lucky enough to garden on 2 acres where we keep our hives of honeybees.

I've planted big swathes of Phacelia tanacetifolia and Sainfoin around the hives for them. This year I'll be adding in some perennial chicory which they should like.

Muscari and aconites are also great early plants, and later in the year the persicarias are also busy.

Good trees for bees are lime, hazel and alder.

Did you know that a single honeybee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime ... and that of the 100 crop species that provide 90 per cent of the world's food, over 70 are pollinated by bees!
(source United Nations Environment programme).

Bee,

Mark56

Sown lots of borage this week for them  planning aconites for next winter/early spring & pleased to say we have two large hazel trees with healthy catkins every jan/feb 

Only 2857 for me 

Chris789

3094 for me, my garden is quite small though but I'll definitely try improve on that now.