Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bee programme tonight

For anyone who might be interested there's a programme on tonight after G'sWorld discussing the problems with bees. Since the forum doesn't seem to be working very well just now I though I'd try doing this new thread in case it worked! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

• AlieshAliesh Posts: 179

Thanks Fairygirl i hadn't noticed it was on.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Just watched - really interesting.  Thanks for flagging it as I would have missed it otherwise.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Very good.  The conclusion seemed to be that several factors are involved but the main problem is the destruction of diversity in habitat caused mainly by our agricultural methods.  A simple answer may be to have wider margins of wild flowers around fields and sowing strips of bee friendy flowers within existing fields.  Bees in cities seem to being doing well, almost certainly thanks to the diversity of plants we gardeners grow!image 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Just watching GW,  I've got it on the box for after. I noticed an add last week about it being made by the people who did the cat one. I hope it's a good as that. That was intresting.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

How stupid am I? Having informed everyone that it was on... I forgot to record it - d'oh!  image

Mistress Thicky will watch it on iPlayer... image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Its great FG - watch out for the waggle dance !

• The biggest threat to any bee is the two legged one... whether it is spraying pesticide, creating green deserts or interfering with natural bee behaviour.