London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
21 to 26 of 26 messages
23/08/2013 at 11:52

Yep, that looks pretty much like mine do. 

I know they don't live long, just a matter of weeks. Do you think that they could all have been born during a very productive period for the queen bumblebee (in the recent hot weather) and have all reached the end of their normal lifespan at the same time?

23/08/2013 at 14:01

I thinkthat's extremely likely wb. I was watching a vid on youtube last night (stupidly I can't find it again to pass on), a bumble bee study. The bees that go foraging only have a few weeks of life.

23/08/2013 at 15:51

I think it's the time of year when the bumble bee colonies are dying and it's only the queen that survives and hibernates over the winter. Once again, I'm not certain but I believe she will already have her eggs ready for laying next year and starting another colony. I don't like to see them dead or dying but at this time of the year there isn't a lot we can do. Earlier on in the year when they got a bit sluggish from cold or rain they appreciated a warm hand and a drink of water sugary  water. I have read not to give them honey as it could possibly spread some diseases from area to area. But sugar does the trick. Will certainly miss watching them in the garden. Roll on spring!

23/08/2013 at 18:14

Just noticed a dead bee on my buddlia and another had been on fuchsias now dead.

23/08/2013 at 22:34

Gillian53 said:

I have read not to give them honey as it could possibly spread some diseases from area to area. But sugar does the trick.

Thanks for passing that on Gillian, I didn't consider that honey could carry a bee disease - obvious when you think about it. 

23/08/2013 at 23:05

i have revived several near to death bees by giving them sugar and water on a teaspoon. In this hot weather the bees are  are lacking water

email image
21 to 26 of 26 messages