London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
21 to 27 of 27 messages
09/06/2013 at 20:46

Solitary bee i think, i have these living underground in my garden, live in very small numbers, very placid, minding their own business.

I can sit right next to their burrows and they couldnt care less.

09/06/2013 at 20:54

I'll do some searching on youtube, thanks.

Bagz, do solitary bees live up to their name, and live on their own? Only there were quite a few of them buzzing around the hole in my garden.

09/06/2013 at 21:15

Solitary bees can and will share nest sites. The term solitary refers to the individual bees providing for their own off spring, unlike a nest where only the queen bee lays eggs. 

09/06/2013 at 21:33

Lovely pic Cheerypb!!

11/06/2013 at 19:38

Well my local Wildlife Trust have confirmed that they are Mason Bees which are indeed solitary bees. Most likely collecting mud to add to their nest elsewhere. Im keeping my path building project on hld whilst they are doing their thing.

Thanks for the help everyone.

11/06/2013 at 19:40
Bagz wrote (see)

Solitary bee i think, i have these living underground in my garden, live in very small numbers, very placid, minding their own business.

I can sit right next to their burrows and they couldnt care less.

You were correct. And ive been stood right next to them and they have copletely ignored me. Fascinating to watch. I did at first think they were wasps, I wonder how many get killed mistakenly?

11/06/2013 at 20:56

Sad to think that LeadF isn't it. Doing no harm to anyone - and lots of good. I hope they enjoy the home you're giving them just now! Gives you an excuse to have a little break from all your hard work  

email image
21 to 27 of 27 messages