Tomorrow 9°C / 7°C
16 messages
23/04/2013 at 21:24

HI,

AS WE GARDENERS ALL LOVE BEES. 

I  wonder if you have seen the   NEW PETITION 

I  saw it on the RSPB site.

SECURE.38DEGREES.ORG.UK/SAVE-OUR-BEES

LETS GET THE MESSAGE ACROSS, PUT WILD LIFE FIRST!!!

23/04/2013 at 21:26

Hi Patty, Is this a new petition? I've signed everything that's come my way so far. I'll have a look at RSPB

23/04/2013 at 21:28

Did it yesterday Patty.

23/04/2013 at 21:53

I just signed and shared it

24/04/2013 at 07:33

Thank you,

To   Nut, Tina and Rebecca for such quick responce to BEE petition

I HOPE WE  CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

24/04/2013 at 07:48

done 

24/04/2013 at 07:58

Will do now patty 

24/04/2013 at 19:31

Also make sure you don't buy insecticides containing the relevant damaging chemicals.

24/04/2013 at 19:51

If you want to see how bee-friendly your garden is, the Bumblebee Conservation Trust, bumblebeeconservation.org, has got a 'bee kind' tool on their site which gives your flowers a score.  It's also got lots of interesting info.

26/04/2013 at 14:21

We all want to be wildlife and bee-friendly in your garden . How can you stop your neighbours buying insecticdes and undoing the good work you do?. YES i will go and sign the petition

26/04/2013 at 19:57

Will check out the bee friendly sites but saw my first bumble bee in the garden at the weekend. Was so pleased, there were about 4 different species last year.

26/04/2013 at 21:27

Hi DERRICK             

I have a neighbour who will insist on using slug pellets,

i have tried  to explain to her the birds frogs and hedgehogs

are poisoned by them but it makes no difference.

I GET ANGRY WHEN I GO INTO A GARDEN CENTRE OR HARDWARE STORE THEY HAVE A POISON FOR ABOUT EVERY CREATURE IN OUR GARDENS.

SO SAD!

!!!

26/04/2013 at 21:38

Hi vally 2

I found that bee trust site, my plants got a high score, but sadly i dont get many bees as

my garden is in the middle of town and is very shaded.

BUT the birds love it we have ducks at the moment , i found three eggs  today!

26/04/2013 at 23:10

I've signed it, will have a look at that bee kind tool vally. Thanks

29/04/2013 at 16:43

Just been on the bee conservation site. Good tips and advice.  But need to put more flowers to make my own garden more bee friendly

01/06/2013 at 23:02
Yesterday, quite by chance, I had two messages in my in-box about bees.    One was from a French organisation called Pollinis, who tell me that Brussels is about to agree to a scheme whereby the 3 most dangerous neo-nicotinoid pesticides will be banned during a 2 year test period, after which the health and safety authorities will check to see if the ban has stopped the massacre of the bees, and to see whether they should put a permanent ban on neo-nicotinoids.

Actually, the 3 bee-killer pesticides will only be banned during a few months of the year and for the most part will be in use for the rest of the year – on nearly 85% of cereal crops, and on a large proportion of fruit, vegetable and herb crops, severely poisoning the ground and the water, which will then be taken up into the roots of the so-called “non-treated” crops.

Many studies have shown that these highly toxic substances can remain in the soil for up to three years after their application and that non-treated crops planted in those same fields will show traces of neo-nicotinoids even as far as their pollen, which then goes on to kill bees!

At the end of the two year test period the multinationals will be able to prove that the bee population is continuing to be decimated in spite of the so-called ban on their products, and that they are not to blame. They will have succeeded in exonerating their pesticides and protecting their profits for many years to come.

There might still be time to stop them, but I'm afraid it will take a bit more effort on our part than simply planting a few bee-friendly annuals. Even non-French can sign their petition, but there are probably UK-based pressure-groups who need our support as well.

The second message was from a supporter of Friends of the Earth, who sent me a list of the MPs who have signed the Bee Cause Statement, calling for offical investigations into saving the bees. I wonder if you know whether your MP has signed it? You can see the list at the FoE website.

email image
16 messages