London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
13 messages
23/03/2014 at 14:36
Hi all, Does anyone have any ideas on good plants to cover artificial pond edges? Thanks for any help, Justin
23/03/2014 at 14:38

How about caltha palustris - the marsh marigold. In the wild it hang over the side of river and ponds, and dont see why it could do the same here 

23/03/2014 at 14:43

Are you looking for something to plant in or out of the pond Justin?

23/03/2014 at 17:54
Something to plant in the pond preferably.
23/03/2014 at 18:17

The caltha will be good then. I'd try and get the plastic covered with grass or paving or something that's there all year. On the whole pond plants  die back in winter. As well as the appearance plastics soon deteriorate in sunlight.

24/03/2014 at 07:32

I'll give the Caltha a try. How would you recommend I plant them?

Thanks for the help!

24/03/2014 at 07:46

Caltha is ideal - it'll spread around too Justin. You could plant them directly into the soil right at the edges of the pond or in  baskets specifically designed for pond plants and put them in the shallow margin of the pond edge. The baskets are like plastic mesh rather than solid. You'll  get them at GCs and DIY stores. Have you got a little shelf at the edge for marginal plants - the ones which don't like deep water? Most of the sedges will be happy at the edges too (Carex) There are lots of varieties readily available, from bronze colours to variegated. Many are evergreen.

As nut says, it's best to get some rock/stone/paving  or turf to cover edges all year round. Much more pleasing if you don't see the plastic  

24/03/2014 at 07:53

We're going to lift the turf around the pond and place the liner then replace the turves over the edges, and the water should then come up to the bottom of them -  hopefully it'll be ok - we're also planting ground cover and ferns etc all around so hopefully that'll spread and trail over the edges and hide them. 

24/03/2014 at 22:18
Caltha and stones it is How do I post pics here?
25/03/2014 at 06:24

To post a pic click on the little green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions. 

25/03/2014 at 08:31

Acorus Ogon is evergreen grasslike plant that spreads quickly and well.  It will merge pond edges.  on the outside ajuga will spread nicely with reddish foliage and purple flowers and is evergreen.  On the outer edge ferns are perfect.  

Chameleon grows well in the pool....not evergreen but vigorous in foliage colours of red, cream,,pink,,yellow etc and orange scenfed white flowers.  Grows to 50 cm.  lobelia Victoria is a tall purple foliaged perennial with scarlet flowers in mid summer onwards.  Try growing this  lobelia in the shallow edge AND in the ground bordering the pond to create continuity.  Grows 60 plus cm.  all of these grow on the shelf in the pool not in the deep parts of it.  Arum lily too is a consideration.  

Astilbes, primulas, astrantias and a fav grass of mine, viz., hackonochloa which will cascade into the water,  will look good out of the pond but edging it.

25/03/2014 at 19:33

Hi all,

Here's the pond...  It's a work in progress! Any suggestions for improvement?

I have lots of spawn in there at the minute but water is low so I'm filling water-butts with tap water and letting them stand for a few days and then topping the pond up as I don't have any rain water-butts connected at the minute

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag165/jdoherty1976/image1_zpsa443faf9.jpeg

Thanks,

Justin.

03/04/2014 at 11:16

Water forget me nots spread quickly and have lovely blue flowers for a long period. I agree with planting the Caltha which will be a lovely companion to the blue of the forget me nots.

email image
13 messages