London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
03/04/2013 at 21:19

It's about 1.8m up from the ground, north facing, very protected with a bambooo growing over the opening and a mature ceanotus arching over it. 

Crab apple in front which birds often hop onto.

Many blue tits, sparrows, robins and wrens in our garden.

It's a box with a hole, which I think is for blue tits...only put it up early March - any chance there'll be takers this year?

03/04/2013 at 21:22

I read somewhere that you should leave a tit box in place for 3 springs before giving up and moving it - so it's early days yet   I saw bluetits inspecting one of ours a few years ago, but haven't seen anything  more exciting yet 

03/04/2013 at 21:23

3 springs?!!! What are they waiting for, I wonder!

03/04/2013 at 22:17

I keep adding new home-made boxes each year with various hole sizes suitable for different birds.  Most don't seem to get regularly nested in, but they could be used for overnight roosting and I'd be none the wiser, so they'll all stay in position.  I think territorialism is the main reason - many birds simply won't tolerate another nesting pair in their area.  I know birds don't like nesting in boxes anywhere near bird tables or other feeding stations.

03/04/2013 at 23:27

The very first time i had a box the blue tits inspected it within minutes of putting it up and some nested successfully first year. This was 30 years ago. More recently I have had less luck. It's the same box incredibly now situated in it's 4th garden!!

04/04/2013 at 10:51

I pit this tit box up 2 years ago, and yesterday I photographed it being used for the first time. Its about 2 metre high..

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zpsfcbafbbe.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps7e014952.jpg

04/04/2013 at 19:29
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

...................  I saw bluetits inspecting one of ours a few years ago, 

I should have read that more carefully - I mean a few days ago 

04/04/2013 at 20:24

I think you probably need to wait at least a couple of years before you can be sure there'll be no residents!  As Bob has already said, some birds are definitely territorial and this will make a difference.  The size of the entry-hole will dictate to some extent which species will be interested. I think it's probably just as important to make sure that the site doesn't get direct sunlight, & isn't exposed to driving rain & cold winds.  Probably a good idea to make sure that any rainwater which falls on to the box won't drip down over the side with the access hole - so a box with a sloping "roof" & the box itself then fixed at a slight downward angle would probably be best.

10/04/2013 at 21:22

Thanks all - mine has a sloping roof. Still no birds in it though  but possibly OH hammering and generally pottering to and fro from his adored shed isn't helping...

Lovely photos Lead! Envious? MOI??

11/04/2013 at 17:32

Hi Jess, i put my box up a few years ago in spring , it was not  used the first year as i think birds check out nesting sites before spring. It has been used every year since by blue tits apart from last year, they did come and check it out but didn't use it for nesting. I think that could be because i had a family of sparrow feeding in my garden and as my garden is quite small the blue tits were not happy with all the sparrows close to thier nesting site. I still have the sparrow family and have seen the blue tits fighting with them at the bird feeders. they have been going in the nest box but not sure if they will stay! Do you feed the birds in your garden? If so are the feeders near your nest box?

11/04/2013 at 18:08

LeadF what a beautiful photo! Who needs TV when you can watch that! The siting of bird boxes is very important too. Yours has a bit of protection for the birds going in and out and lots of smaller birds need that. Robins like to go through a bit of cover to get to their nests. I've heard the concrete ones are very successful as they don't get wet inside. Has anyone tried these?

Aliesh I'd have thought you wouldn't have the boxes too close to the feeders because of disturbance from other birds and predators but I expect it also depends on your location and what bird visitors you have.

11/04/2013 at 18:47

I have a bird box i fit it 6 moths ago.. initially some birds came but suddenly they stop? dont know what's the issue? what advice you guys will give?

11/04/2013 at 18:53

I see that you don't live in the UK Stephen - whereabouts do you live and what sort of birds are you hoping will nest in your box? 

11/04/2013 at 20:03

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21936.jpg?width=268&height=350&mode=max

i built this double box for sparrows last year next day put it up by my rear bed room window. next day my daughter Alys calls me dad there a blue bird on the box  they move in to the side nest after trying both and had two sets of chicks .while in the front box moved in a sparrow couple both blue tits and sparrows spent a lot of time arguing they both had families and they are back this year . I've also got GrEAT tits in a box on a conifer next to me shed in the shed I've had robin blk bird  nest and a old kettle in a honey suckle has had robin nest . i lay food on for them and talk to them .....REMEMBER THEY ARE WATCHING YOU ALL THE TIME IT THERE GARDEN TO  there are mates  gorby

11/04/2013 at 20:11

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21939.jpg?width=268&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21940.jpg?width=268&height=350&mode=max

11/04/2013 at 21:08

Ive often found that a newly placed nest box might get used for roosting straight away, but wont get used for nesting for the first couple of years.

11/04/2013 at 21:36

hi lead farmer  i live in Birmingham were  real estate is expensive and hard to find i think that's why its first come first to get and with a kind human to watch over them it home sweet home

11/04/2013 at 22:01

thanks Aliesh - no I don't feed the birds much as they generally help themselves to insects, grubs and worms, plus crab apples and variousberries...not many sparrows either now that I think of it...the odd robin and wren and blackbirds....

11/04/2013 at 22:02

love your pics gorby!

11/04/2013 at 23:54

thanks you must put up a feeder wit sunflower seeds goldfinchs greenfinchs as well as the rest of the gang  will show up no need for a radio in your garden . 

1 to 20 of 24 messages