7 messages
16/11/2012 at 10:40

I would like to put up a bluetit box and a sparrow box set.   Must they be emptied out and cleaned regularly?  I have good places to site one of each but would have to get someone to put them up, and then I wouldn't be able to reach them for 'maintenance'. Should I go ahead and get boxes put up?  Advice welcome, thanks, Maggie

16/11/2012 at 11:35

In theory they should be cleaned annually to remove any parasites, but I must admit that I have some that can't be reached very easily. Since not all the boxes are used every year, I don't worry about it.

16/11/2012 at 11:41

We have a box that has been hidden in shrubbery for years, its impossible to get to it but it hasn't stopped the Bluetits from nesting.  Birds will clean out a box themselves so I wouldn't worry about it. Better to provide the boxes than not.

16/11/2012 at 11:43

I think that's right. we have become rather OTT with the cleanliness thing. 

16/11/2012 at 12:49

Our blue tit nest box has been used each year for the past 5/6 years - its never been touched by as and the birds spend a lot of time on renovations to get it just right before moving in each Spring.

16/11/2012 at 20:41

Hi Maggie, Ditto the above, I built and put up my box 10 years ago and it has been used every year  since,  I have never touched the inside at all,  the bluetits look after that side of things for themselves. The only maintenance has been a spruce up of the outside with a  coat of water based preservative about two years ago once the birds had fledged. If you can put the boxes where you can see them, mine is on the side of the garage and I have spent many a happy hour watching the parents making the box habitable and fetching food for their young.

17/11/2012 at 12:50

Thanks all.  I will get those boxes and put up asap. Maggie

email image
7 messages