London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
4 messages
10/06/2012 at 13:13

Hi

I'm sure this question has been asked before, i have searched but can't find an answer, do bird droppings damage plants? i don't mean by changing the soil composistion or ph i mean do droppings on leaves, stems, flowerheads damage the actual part of the plant where the droppings have landed?

Thanks

Davie-S

10/06/2012 at 13:21

Not really. They're no problem on stems unless you get a large build-up, although leaves will obviously be weighed down. They do a great job of feeding plants if they land on the ground - my greenest grass is around my bird table.

10/06/2012 at 13:23

I would say the biggest problem is flower buds, I have found several flower buds failed to open when I did not remove the bird droppings promptly.

11/06/2012 at 13:24

Thanks Alina & Kate

I might just be worrying about nothing, but since we have re-built the garden we have attracted a lot of wildlife, birds included, and i have noticed a lot of there droppings on the plants, we want to put in a feeding station, in a location that enables us to enjoy viewing the birds but also keeps them away from predators (neighbours cats) we have an ideal location, only worry is below the feeding platform is two Montana's, which will hopefully grow up around the feeding platform it is also in close proximity to the pond. Guess i'll just have to monitor the situation, for once it's an advantage i live in Scotland as it rains most days, that should wash the droppings of the plants..

Thanks again

Davie-S

email image
4 messages