1 to 20 of 64 messages
11/11/2013 at 22:00

Hi folks

has anyone got any birds feeding of there bird feeders at the moment?

11/11/2013 at 22:23

Actually, ours aren't very interested at the moment - perhaps the rain has brought out a million worms.

11/11/2013 at 22:34

We are very nearly all year round with birds in our garden, Starlings, blue tits, sparrows, black birds, jays, even some magpies, a woodpecker, sometimes a couple of wood pigeons and my favourite a robin. And a few i dont recognise We back onto fields and woods, some of the shrubs in my garden are very bird friendly, I feel very lucky to be able to watch these birds, but then it costs me a small fortune to feed them all!!

12/11/2013 at 07:33

Ours have never slowed down! Mainly the hedge sparrows who live in the garden.

12/11/2013 at 07:40

We've got a few goldfinches visiting the feeders, but they are never visited a lot at this time of year - the fields and hedgerows in the countryside are still full of seeds and most of the birds are there.

When the weather gets colder the birds move to the relative warmth of the sub-urban gardens and the bounty we provide for them. 

12/11/2013 at 09:17

We have pretty much the same amount of birds all year round

12/11/2013 at 11:16

Mine slow down a bit in summer and eraly atumn when the farmers are harvesting and there are berries in the woods but since mid October they're getting through fat balls, mixed seeds and peanuts at an alarming rate.

Great to see so many around and they do provide lots of entertainment.

12/11/2013 at 17:00

birds don't seem that bothered at the moment but the squirrel is gorging on bird food. He seems to have become immune to the chilli powder I add....must try a stronger one

12/11/2013 at 17:57

My feeder is being ignored but more worrying is we are seeing around 6 resident magpies and dozens of crows and no sparrows or tits -

12/11/2013 at 21:30

Multiple feeders in my sheltered mid-terrace garden offer peanuts, mixed seed and fatty/ meaty scraps to allcomers: blue tits and sparrows predominate, plus jackdaws, chaffinch and eight feral pigeons (they tidy up the spilt seed from the lawn and borders beneath the shrubs and trees). Being coastal, we have herring and black-backed gulls 'freeloading' on anything from stale pasta, curry or even chicken carcass remains put on the garage roof well away from the feeders!

14/11/2013 at 06:07

I have several families of Goldfinch feeding from the Sunflower hearts at the bottom of the garden. They've been coming for ages and have gradually increased from 2 - 4 - about 12-14 of them now. Also have a Robin, some Bluetits and Chaffinch feeding from those feeders.

The Starlings come every day to eat the Fat Balls but they love the Suet Pellets and Mealyworms I leave on the bird table.

KEF
14/11/2013 at 08:57

The finches haven't been very active on the feeders until a couple of days ago but now they are going down the sunflower seeds at at good rate. The blackbirds are back, running around as though it's spring and having lots of baths. The woodpecker has been absent for a few months but I'm expecting him back soon. The robin keeps putting in an appearance, I think maybe more than one. A pair of wrens keep grubbing in the hedge bottom. Haven't been able to judge how many sparrows, last year we got up to 13 but then the sparrowhawk sadly reduced their numbers.

On the down side the pheasant and his 3 big footed lady friends re-visited a couple of days ago, just about jumped out of my skin when it suddenly took flight, I hadn't seen it lurking behind the flower bed. Occasionally we get ducks from the nearby ponds, I can always tell when they've been

No starlings seen on the ground for years. Did have a pair of thrushes but not seen for a few months. Always have collared Doves and fat pigeons.

It won't be long before I'm out first thing with the bucket of hot water melting the baths for them. Brrrrr...

15/11/2013 at 14:42

Hi, their are increasing numbers of goldfinches, bull finch, blue tits, robins,blackbird and recently a song thrush has started visiting the garden. also wrens and sparrows

15/11/2013 at 14:47

mine are full.. al types of sparrows, gold finches, blackbird robins, blue tits.. they are eating like crazy.. to the fact taht i have to fill up my 4 feeders every otehr day.. and they are 6 perch feeders!! 2 of each sunflower hearts and wild bird seed and one with peanuts in and the niger for the gold finches.. thou they love the sunflower hearts..

and today a white and black woode pecker.. and last night a badger which has been so kind to airate my lawn for me!!!

15/11/2013 at 14:50

@still learning.. to stop the crows and that in yr garden.. get a pice of cork or something you can stick feathers into.. gather up black and grey feathers stick them in it and hang it in the tree not too close to the feeders thous.. this has worked n my garden... also dont put food out on easy reach feeders.. use one with small perches they cant get ont them.. thou they give it a good damn go..

15/11/2013 at 17:32

Just seen this thread and coincidently have just got in from filling up my feeders after neglecting to for too long .

I've put up three sorts: mixed seed, sunflower seeds (I think - they were black and with an elongated shape) and Niger because we have a colony of Goldfinch that seem to nest somewhere in our pinetrees.

I'll report back once I have seen some activity. 

I don't remember seeing goldfinches on the feeders during previous winters - do they migrate or take different food during the cold months?

15/11/2013 at 17:38

KEF said: "The robin keeps putting in an appearance, I think maybe more than one."

I too noticed we hade two robins in and out of the garden during most of the summer. Judging by the bright feathers they were both males. Isn't that quite unusual? I thought that the males were ferociously territorial and normally one would see off the other.

15/11/2013 at 18:04

Male and female robins look identical, so they were probably a pair. 

https://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/robin/index.aspx

15/11/2013 at 18:35

Thankyou for the link Dove. That's going to be useful for future research and info.

That also explains how both robins seemed pretty laid back about each other's presence. Perhaps I was thinking of how the male blackbird is a glossier black than the female.

Maybe I also I assumed that the typical  'Christmas Robin' is male because it has a brighter coat than earlier in the year and males of a number of other species often have much brighter coats than the females.

18/11/2013 at 18:59

I've had to resite several of the peanut feeders in my garden as they were being ransacked by jackdaws; contents strewn all about and although I'd expect moderate spillage it might attract vermin if left unattended. New positions are either beneath overhanging holly tree twigs or close by laurel and bay shrubberies. More news anon...

1 to 20 of 64 messages