Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bird Food Suppliers

Hi Folks,  I wonder if anyone could recommend a bird food supplier that offers reasonable quality with good prices.  There seems to be so many on the internet that I would welcome some advice based on personal experience.  I already feed with fat balls and general seed but would like to attract a wider range of birds.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I use Johnson and Jeff 'Superior wild bird food - husk free'.  20-23 quid inc. delivery for 20kg.  It smells lovely too - aniseed in there I think and nothing gets left! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Thanks Bob, Ill take a look

• I use have used www.brinvale.com for some time now. Very good value and overnight delivery. Mostly only buy sunflower seed though. I find wasteage too high on any thing else and I don't get strange things growing from any that is spilled. I have recommended them to friends and had no complaints yet.

Thanks Trillium

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I buy the suet blocks from Amazon, 7.99 for 10, post free if you buy 2 boxes.comes in 2 or 3 flavours, birds love them all.

If you buy fat balls, please dont use the net bag, i have had to cut birds free after getting feet and beaks caught in them

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I make my own fat balls using the mesh seed feeders.  I completely wrap the feeders in tinfoil and fill with a mix of seed/nuts/raisins etc mixed with melted dripping.  When set just take off the tin foil and you have a fat tube (rather than ball) which lasts the birds so much longer.

Hi Lyn, I use feeders not the mesh bags but it is good to remind people.  Lesley I might try that they do get through the fat balls at a ridiculous rate.

• Yes, I agree that Haiths are very good, you get free delivery on orders over ??35, it is also very good quality seed. I have recently tried the Bill Oddie bird food recipes ( from Haiths) which seem very good and there is a wide range.
  • Sorry for the error with the price above, it is meant to say 35 pounds.
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I made an error too Wildlife Gardenerimage.

Yvie I meant the feeders with wider metal bars that are used for fat balls - not mesh.