Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bird Identification

This bird of prey was hunting in our garden today, can anyone identify it please?  

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Sparrowhawk?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Nice pic Mrs G. That's a sparrow hawk

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Thanks!  Saw it take down a pigeon a few weeks ago but was too far away to see properly.  Am I right in thinking it's a juvenile?  

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

not much left of whatever it had for breakfast

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

We have a mixed hedge at the bottom of our garden that is very busy and full of sparrows and I often see the sparrow hawk swoop down and carry one off.  Sad to see but that is life.

Looked like just feathers to me but it was there for over half an hour feeding.  This was on our privet but we also have a lovely mixed hedge.  The sparrows especially love the hedges and congregate in big groups.  No different from a ladybird eating an aphid or us eating a steak though I guess.image

• Fantastic photos Mrs G! I think this is a young male Accipiter nisus - I just love the stripey 'trousers' he's sporting!!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KezzaKezza Posts: 90

cracking photos Mrs G  ! image

I've got a sparrowhawk which visits my garden, though haven't seen him / her for a while now, though often go home to find 'road kill' in my garden, usually just a pile of feathers   image