Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 20 replies

Hi All,

Who would you recommend as an online retailer for upright seed feeders regarding cost and quality.

Thanks M

Lyn

Ebay for me, or, I have bought some in Wilco.

Dovefromabove

Do you have squirrels in your area? If so you'll need much sturdier squirrel-proof feeders which will be more expensive. 

josusa47

I only buy bird food and feeders from the RSPB.  Not cheap, but you know you're getting the best quality.  Also I like to know my money's going to an environmental charity rather than the retail giants.

Advertisement

Lyn

For anyone who feels that they should buy from RSPB thinking they are helping birds, google ‘How much charity money actually goes to RSPB’.  Aparantly they are a Pension Fund first, Charity second. 

Unfortunately as  it’s not very much,  I would rather buy cheaper feeders and more of them, same with the food.  At least that way you are directly helping the birds.

thats what I do anyway, I don’t shoot foxes and deer in order to preserve our birds, just supply lots of cover and nesting places. 

Watery

Lyn, I don't agree with everything the RSPB does/says but I used your google search term and found that RSPB is spending about 3% of donations to plug pension hole and that some of the other claims were from game hunting groups/Ian Botham and if you look at how their donations are spent, a lot are spent on education/publicising issues re environment and the "only 24%" for reserves is because they do lots more than just reserves.  I don't buy their stuff because it's too expensive.  Some of their advice is silly or just wrong and I think they should do more in educating general public about dangers of trichimonas and bird flu and that the general public has a role in prevention for both (esp backyard chicken/duck owners) but I appreciate lots of the info on their websites and they also help lobby for farmers to do more to help birds.    Not saying you should be giving them your money; just pointing out that some facts seem to have been misinterpreted a bit.

I read your links too Lyn. The criticism stems from shooing pressure groups who have many of their facts wrong. Don’t believe what they say. The RSPB has been very critical of management of grouse shooting moorland, particularlay the North York Moors. Ian Bothams group is a reaction to that. His son rears thousands of Red Grouse for release for shooting. This is how he earns his living. 

The RSPB does masses for conservation and I am happy to continue supporting them.

Sheps

In the name of conservation, the RSPB openly admits to shooting and poisoning hundreds of birds each year.

Surely a charity going by the name of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds should not distinguish between which species of bird it chooses to protect.

Maybe they should change their name to the Royal Society for the Protection of some Birds.

Watery

One thing I definitely agree with Lyn about is that Wilkos is a great place to get inexpensive but sturdy bird feeders that aren't too hard to take apart to clean.

Sheps says:

In the name of conservation, the RSPB openly admits to shooting and poisoning hundreds of birds each year.

See original post

I do not believe this. Please provide links to support this assertion.

Sheps

Thanks to Lyn's link, this is next on my bird feeder list.

http://www.wilko.com/peanuts+feeders/wilko-wild-bird-peanut-cage-feeder/invt/0298739

Maybe the added security will encourage more Coal and Blue Tits into the garden.

fidgetbones

I get Droll Yankee bird feeders, and the Squirrel buster. Expensive, but guaranteed squirrel proof .

Advertisement

Ruddy Duck, by EU directive is deemed an invasive species .  It is a North American native and interbreeds with White headed Ducks producing fertile offspring . This is seriously threatening the Mediterranean population which which had dropped to only 22 birds. Limiting the introduced Ruddy Duck is a conservation succes story.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/our-positions-and-casework/our-positions/species/invasive-non-native-species/ruddy-ducks-and-white-headed-ducks

Sheps

Redwing, you asked for proof of what I said because you didn't believe it, so there you go.

For whatever reason the RSPB cull birds, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds still cull birds.

I myself have worked for the RSPB in the past on a number of their reserves. The general work they do encourages a huge biodiversity of not only birds but every creature within the ecosystem. To manage an ecosystem the balance needs to be correct.

Thanks for all of the replies, I agree droll yankees are great and I've decided to stay with this brand as they really do last, I'll now do some hunting through online suppliers to find the cheapest

Dovefromabove
Sheps says:

Redwing, you asked for proof of what I said because you didn't believe it, so there you go.

For whatever reason the RSPB cull birds, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds still cull birds.

See original post

I have absolutely no problem with this ... we humans feed birds, either intentionally or with our  huge landfill sites full of waste which  upsets the natural balance, increasing the numbers of some species which then prey upon other species.   We humans also overfish the seas in many areas which results in the starvation of many other species as they cannot feed their young. It's therefore important that we try to protect the threatened species from predation.

We also release species into the wild which do not fit naturally into our ecosystem and have to be managed.  This is the same for birds and mammals as it is for plants like Himalayan Balsam, Giant Hogweed and Rhodondendron.

As long as the culling and control is done in a measured way and humanely then I have absolutely no problem with it ... in fact, I applaud it.

We are not living in the Garden of Eden ........ we bu$$ered that up a long time ago and there's no going back.  

Last edited: 19 December 2017 10:38:20