London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
9 messages
20/06/2013 at 16:32

hi im new ive just started to feed the birds in my garden i have starlings, blue tits,sparrows and a pigeon, i do have different feeders but im gettin swamped with starlings now how do i get rid of them? i have been told they will go once their babies have fled the nest is this true

20/06/2013 at 16:35

My garden is the same Kathy, it's full of young fledged starlings looking for easy food. I let them get on with it as the adults don't seem to be around all year, they appear in spring and seems once babies have fledged they do disappear.  The young ones hang around for a while and get very quarrelsome!

20/06/2013 at 16:36

Hi Kathy, welcome to the site - I'm fairly new too, and I have had some really helpful advice already. There is another thread called Starlings which someone must have posted at the same time as you, and that already has some tips on it.

20/06/2013 at 17:22

Thankyou for your advice I will leave them they are young ones and rather noisy and quarrlesome they may disapear

20/06/2013 at 18:13

You'll be lucky.  They are opportunists.  If you feed them, they'll stay.

20/06/2013 at 18:17

I love my birds - costs me a fortune to support  them.  I do not mind the robins, the crows, jackdaws, magpies, black birds et all - but I dread it when the starlings come round - such messy eaters and such bully boys - an elderly acquaintance used to call them "shovellers" as they seem to shovel as much into their beaks as they can  and even so much that they drop it as they fly away.  They do seem, however, to diminish as the year goes on and just come back at baby feeding time or in a very harsh winter.

20/06/2013 at 21:38

Starling numbers are dropping too

21/06/2013 at 15:45

well ive had to remove  feeder you can lower it so larger birds cant get to it but the starlings managed to get there heads in and take the meal worms and i had loads im goin to put sunflower seeds in and see if that keeps them away does any one know what starlings wont bother with i do have a wooden nut feeder and there noth bothering with it just the cocunuts and the suet feeder

21/06/2013 at 16:41

It seems to me that they eat everything Iput out whether it be left over meat potatoes, pastry, suet pellets, seeds etc

email image
9 messages