London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
5 messages
01/03/2013 at 09:21

Well I am both happy and upset. I was going to get out this week and cut back the ivy growing up my house. But I have noticed that it has become home to wren's and robins making nests. Happy to have my little friends back again this year but now I will have to wait until later in the year to sort out the ivy. On a seperate note, I didn't realise until I saw him just now but robin's can hover (like humming birds). I do have a pile of cut down branches etc at the bottom of my garden which I cut down in Jan (but couldnt burn yet), sadly if there are any nesting in there I will have to move them along. 

01/03/2013 at 09:40
I hav a lot of robins in the garden at the moment , not sure where they are nesting but they are happy amongst my freshly dug bed .
We have sparrows unfortunately nesting under some of our roof tiles..the roofer hasn't been back yet , so they have moved in.
04/03/2013 at 18:24

It sounds to me like a price worth paying discodave, to have provided a home for those little birds this spring, well done you.

07/03/2013 at 18:02

I've got quite a few Blue Tits in my garden and I have seen them checking out the nesting box. I hang a fat ball feeder out stuffed with some of the fluff from my tumble drier so the birds can use it for building their nests, I've done this every year. 

07/03/2013 at 18:23

Same here, donutsmrs, and we put out the bunches of cats hair (the fluffy undercoat stuff) that we get after brushing the cat (saves having hair on everything).

email image
5 messages