London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
21/10/2013 at 14:59

Hi, I am looking for advice on a Bird box, I was going to make one, but where is the best place to postion it in the garden, can anyone help?

21/10/2013 at 15:17

Thanks, do you have any idea if has to be facing north, south, east or west?

21/10/2013 at 15:24

If you look at the RSPB website they have lots of useful info on bird boxes. and where to position them.

21/10/2013 at 17:44

We place ours with the opening facing south, keeps the opening away from westerly and easterly winds.

22/10/2013 at 06:48

Site the box where it's going to be shaded from strong sunlight, especially at midday - baked chicks won't be good!  And make sure there's a clear flight path in for parents.  Just above headheight is good for tits of all kinds.  

Also, when making it use screws for the lid rather than nails - this way it'll be easier to clean out each winter.  And if the base has a small gap to allow for drainage, that'll help too. 

We really enjoyed watching a pair of bluetits raise two broods in the box on our ashtree this year - hope yours is just as successful 

22/10/2013 at 14:13

Hi lucky10carol

Please, please don't have your box south facing, where it will get the sun.  I stupidly positioned one on the front of my garage last year, 'coz it looked nice at the front of the garage', and I thought I could watch the parent birds come and go.  I was absolutely devastated to find that a whole family of baby coaltits had suffocated in the blistering sun.  I've now moved the box to the back of the garage, where it is not in the sun, but is out of chillling winds, and has the protection of a laurel hedge nearby.  Not sure if anything nested in it this year, as I'm yet to look at the box, and clean it out ready for next year.

Good luck with getting nesting birds

23/10/2013 at 09:10

I would would just like to thank everyone for there advice, it will be very helpfull.

23/10/2013 at 09:19
Kezza wrote (see)

Hi lucky10carol

Please, please don't have your box south facing, where it will get the sun.  I stupidly positioned one on the front of my garage last year, 'coz it looked nice at the front of the garage', and I thought I could watch the parent birds come and go.  I was absolutely devastated to find that a whole family of baby coaltits had suffocated in the blistering sun.  I've now moved the box to the back of the garage, where it is not in the sun, but is out of chillling winds, and has the protection of a laurel hedge nearby.  Not sure if anything nested in it this year, as I'm yet to look at the box, and clean it out ready for next year.

Good luck with getting nesting birds

I do agree with you, Kezza. I was going on the assumption that the nest would be going onto a tree, which is where we put ours and there it is shaded by the leaves. I wouldn't put one on a south facing wall either.

23/10/2013 at 16:04

23/10/2013 at 16:29

You can put the box up now. Small birds will sometimes roost in nest boxes during cold spells, with more than one bird sharing the box to retain heat.

Last winter I saw 5 wrens going into one of my boxes towards dusk. None came out and I watched for an hour ( much to the wifes annoyance). None came out.

Just after dawn about 7am, I watched again as one after the other, 7 wrens came out.

I so pleased I had put it up in the autumn.

23/10/2013 at 16:47

Thanks Dave I think I will give that a try, as I had read somewhere that you could put one up in the autumn,  but was not sure if it would get used.

23/10/2013 at 17:03
I would also like to point out that when building your nest box ,that you take into acount the type of bird you wish to attract into the box. the generel rule is that if it is for a Blue tit the entrance hole needs to be 1 1/8" in diameter and 1 1/4" for great tit.
For other species you can obtain from the R.S.P.B. and i also recommend that it should face north to avoid the nest over heating,as there are many factors when incubation occur. one is the correct humidity inside the box if this is not right the eggs will not hatch,so having it facing south would cause the nest to dry out and even the eggs completely dry up.Hope this helps you somewhat.
03/11/2013 at 13:56

Hi carol

Go to BTO website and type in nestboxes, or watch Gardeners World this friday on bbc2 at 8.00pm. The best time to put one out is now so the birds get used to it by the spring.

Best of luck

03/11/2013 at 16:22

A reminder to empty out those nestboxes to prevent any mites present from infesting any birds who use them to overwinter in - wrens in particular like to do this.

We've cleaned out the ones in our garden and put a little fresh hay in the bottom.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/901/p/5069/37890.aspx

17/11/2013 at 21:59

Dove: You may find that your thoughtful 'offering' of hay is discarded by the first prospective tenants of your box - a clean, well-positioned and firmly mounted box is much the best bet for happy, productive tenants. *Direct nailing into trees is NOT advised - bracing between branches is better for the tree, and all concerned.

18/11/2013 at 11:20

I agree with Gilly too. Look at the website they have templates and good advice on siting. I would get them ASAP as the brids will roost in them in winter as will already by scouting for nest sites, some birds at least.

18/11/2013 at 11:28

Dove is spot on with the clear flight path too. The blue tits stopped using their favourite box last year because the branches above had sagged down a bit more.

18/11/2013 at 14:13

Hi Jim - in previous years we've not put anything in the boxes after cleaning them out in the autumn, however this year we followed the advice on here

http://www.nestbox.co.uk/files/products/MUL.pdf, but did feel unsure - OH has been outside today and removed said hay. 

05/12/2013 at 20:49

Just make sure that no cats can get in them

05/12/2013 at 21:01

Also, best not to position too close to bird feeders. as other birds could present a problem to those in the nest box.

1 to 20 of 25 messages