Start a new thread

1 to 8 of 8 replies

wallflower2

l saw a black bee in my garden the other day on the rubeckia it was truly black never seen a black bee before anyone know the name of it ?

BobTheGardener

There are quite a few solitary and bumble bees which can be all black.  Amongst them are:

Solitary: Anthophora plumipes (Hairy footed flower bee)

Bumble: Bombus Campestris (Field cuckoo bee - uncommon all-black form, probably male), Bombus Hortorum (rare all black form), B.Ruderatus (uncommon black form, likely a worker or queen)

Honey: Black honey bee (extremely rare - usually found only in Cornwall)

Haisie

Can I ask someone about a type of bee, please? I have lots of very small bee-like insects which love my dahlias. Are they true bees or something else?

Haisie

Wow! Thanks, they are - I have lots of them.

Advertisement

BobTheGardener

Hoverflies are the a gardeners friend.  Many of them and their lavae eat aphids, one of our arch-enemies!

Haisie

Thanks, BTG, I've read up on them now - daft that I didn't know what they were. They are so lovely mixed in with the other insects loving my white dahlia - they leave the pink one totally alone. First time for growing dahlias and the insects love them.

wallflower2

thank you Bob the gardener for infomation about the bee ,l have since found out that it is a rare one as there was a item on the local news some days after spotting it ,and is extreamly rare .