London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
13 messages
19/02/2014 at 22:53

Spotted two frogs breeding in our small nature pond today.  It only went in last year so I'm hoping for lots of spawn soon.  The temperature on our outdoor clock was only at about 7 degrees.  Just wandering if anyone else has seen any frog activity yet and whether this is normal at these temps?

20/02/2014 at 07:23

Yes, it's normal - frogs spawn between mid January and midApril, depending on temperature, and as it's been consistently mild they probably think it's time.  The danger is from sharp frosts - if we get sharp frost forecast a layer or two of fleece over the pond just overnight might protect it?

20/02/2014 at 07:39

Hopping up above the spam

20/02/2014 at 09:12

I'm hoping to see the frog I uncovered in the garden sometime soon! We've had it quite mild so fingers crossed my nearly putting a fork through him and having to build him a nest on the other side of the garden has done him no harm. The pond isn't very wildlife friendly at the moment (sorting that out in March when the plants come) but there wasn't a pond before so hopefully he'll find it!

20/02/2014 at 09:13

I know fish in ponds tend to eat any frog spawn but if I ever get some I've read some very clever ways of netting it off to protect it!

20/02/2014 at 09:35

I haven't checked the pond yet as it's raining, but the heron has been down and had breakfast. As there are no fish in there, I assume the frogs are back for their annual fiesta.

20/02/2014 at 11:10

There were so many baby and adult frogs around last year but I have no idea where they were breeding previously because I know the gardens on either side have no ponds and that covers about a hectare.  Very excited about showing our little boy the spawn when it arrives!

20/02/2014 at 13:54

Dear God, please send me a frog - or preferably two so that I can have tadpoles in my one year old wildlife pond!

Edd
20/02/2014 at 14:03
Lancashire Lass wrote (see)

Dear God, please send me a frog - or preferably two so that I can have tadpoles in my one year old wildlife pond!

You better talk to dove.

20/02/2014 at 15:05

If you build it they will come!

20/02/2014 at 21:33

they are breeding in pond and I have all ready have had to pull out a drowned frog,

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37965.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

so spring fever has started as has the other wildlife such as these two love birds.

21/02/2014 at 12:52

the frogs in my pond are definitly very amourous! not only can i see them but they are very vocal in the evenings! bit concerned im going to be overun so if anyone in the north devon are would like some, please let me know, counted 28 last evening, and at least 12 newts.  I only moved into this house in november so pond life is new to me so any suggestions woudl be good, intend to keep the pond and found homes for the 30 fish! as only want it as a wildlife pond, suggestions please, should i not have so many frogs? will the newts breed as well? and it desperatly needs a clean, how do i do that without upseting the frogs, dont want them to pack up and find a new home!

21/02/2014 at 19:25

The best time to clean a nature pond with minimal disruption is early Autumn but perhaps you could do some not too invasive stuff now before you have tadpoles and efts which could get hurt.  Remember to leave weed on the edge for a day or two so things can get back in the pond,  I don't think number of adult frogs will be a problem, they only come to the pond to breed then most clear off.  I'm sure your newts will help keep the population down a bit as they eat tadpoles.  Many of your tadpoles that hatch won't make it to adulthood and current advice is not to give spawn away as it can spread disease.  Hope this helps Lupin.

email image
13 messages