Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bumble Bees

My bumble bees arrived today but I'm really reluctant to put them out in the hive! It's freezing out and keeps hailing. Any advice? Do you think I could keep them in the packaging for a little longer till this cold spell passes? I don't want to put them out and them all die immediately!! 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Do bumble bees live in hives?

There are bees in my garden, I think that's where they need to be. I didn't know you could get bees in packages. Do they come with instructions?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • It's a way of getting bees into your garden, I bought some last year too. There is a wooden box (hive shaped!) that you put a bumble bee nest into. This years new nest just arrived today! 

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/product.asp?id_pc=5&cat=22&id_product=431

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Despite the dreadful weather, I have seen large bumblebees out foraging today. I don't know if they come with a food source, but I would put it in the hive.

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

Buying in bumblebees really isn't a good idea. See for instance this article: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jul/18/bumblebees-honeybees-parasite-infection

Bumblebees (and other bees and wildlife) can be much better aided by growing suitable flowers and improving the habitat generally. This website has some good advice: http://www.foxleas.com/bumblebees-and-gardens.asp

• I could have sworn I had replied to this thread, but Onopordum has summed it up better than I could. Basically, transporting bees around the planet has aided the spread of a variety of bugs and diseases.

• MynxMynx Posts: 101

Hi all, I'm new to this site but thought I would share a little story with you. I read an article about bees a little while ago and put it into practice on Tuesday image. A very large bee had landed in my upturned trainer (I'm very untidy lol), but didn't move when I picked the trainer up. Thinking about the article, which said that large bees get so tired they literally can't fly unless they have a sugar rush, I gently shook the bee onto my salvias which are in flower, and watched while it sucked at a flower head. I bent about three shoots down for it to move onto and lo and behold after about 20 minutes it flew off happily image. As it flew away, it flew in my direction and I'm sure it was saying thank you!!! 

Perhaps someone could tell me if the article was right - we need our bees image 

• TootsietimTootsietim Posts: 178

3 years ago I sowed my whole front garden with Phacelia tanacetifolia, (sold as a green manure) and more bumble bees than I ever thought possible.

I counted at least 7 species plus honeybees and at one point was counting over 100 bees per square yard. 

No need to buy bees.

Sow phacelia and they will come.

(  it does rather self seed though)

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden Posts: 862

I have seen lots of bees coming and going from under the eaves of our front porch today. This is an area that seems to attract them as we have had them nest there several times over recent years, just plant wisely and they will soon arrive!

• MynxMynx Posts: 101

I just knew after I had posted someone would suggest it was the smell of my trainers, and Edd you didn't let me down imageimage. I will stick to believing I had helped the bee, but have sprayed the trainers just in case lol image.

• A hooooge bumble bee landed on my H's neck last week whilst he was in the garden. He came inside and watched tv for half an hour before he noticed image