London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
6 messages
03/07/2013 at 22:30

I wondered if anyone could help.  For the past month of so we have noticed what looked like small bumble bees bussing around a hole in the ground when we mow.  They seem to settle down afetr a while and are non aggressive.  I know bumble bees nest in the ground but I thought they were small individual holes.

Tonight when I have been up there seem to be 2 holes, the size of a canteloup melon, and a lot of soil on the grass that I don't remeber being there before, I have not checked this area since sunday. I thought at 1st it was rabits as it is in the veg garden but when I looked down I could see about 10 of these small bees resting toggether!  Now I'm happy to share the garden with the bees, in fact we have a hive of bees in said garden,  I am more concerned incase it is a rabit making the holes or something after the bees.   

Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks

Shoei

04/07/2013 at 06:17

Can you post a picture please?

04/07/2013 at 08:09

Sounds more like something else digging there and the bees are just looking to move in. When I removed shrubs from my Dad's garden for him there was a colony of bees nesting underneath one.Nice and dry and warm for them. Perhaps your bees are just making use of a ready made, convenient space!

Someone will know Shoei 

04/07/2013 at 11:17

Bumble bees like to nest in old mouse or rat holes I've got three at least in my garden. The bumble bees don't excavate the soild that would be a mouse or a rat. a mouse hole is around the size of a 50p piece. The bumble bees won't hurt anyone unless they're pestered or stood on. All three of mine are around my patio, me and the dogs just sit and enjoy watching them fly in an out.

04/07/2013 at 14:39

I will try and get pic tonight.  It is very odd, I have no idea what is digging but don't really want a warren in the veg patch!  Last week I had a row or carrots all dug up overnight and left like they had never existed.  We have a resident badger that uses behind the hedge as a lav but i don't think it is him as no claw marks!

04/07/2013 at 21:29

Like the use of the word Lav, I've not heard that in ages.

email image
6 messages