Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Butterflies 2017

I've just seen my first butterfly of the year - I'm pretty sure it was a tortoiseshell, although it was above my head and it didn't stay still so I couldn't see the markings - it was quite a large one for the common Small Tortoiseshell so might have been something else - fluttering in the sunlight by the south-facing wall of the house before flying over the fence to next door's garden.

Whatever it was, it was a butterfly image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

wow that is early image Not seen any yet.....

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 
  • raisingirlraisingirl Posts: 7,091

Ooh, ooh, just saw a red admiral fly past image Did the thought summon him? Spooky image

Gardening on the edge of Exmoor, in Devon

“It's still magic even if you know how it's done.” 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• M-K-M-K- Posts: 30

I saw a red admiral in a walled garden on Monday.

• Two Red Admirals here in our garden, spotted the first time about three weeks ago! Amazingly early! 

• Small Tortoiseshell today, temperature in garden 14 degrees in sheltered corner. Quite a lot of bees on the Snowdrops too today. Blackbird, Blue Tits and Mistle Thrush singing today.

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

Oh wow Cottage Compost, I've got insect envy now image 

Off topic but talk of butterflies reminded me of the exotic enclosure at Hampton Court Flower Show, the vivid blues and blacks from overseas - although the humidity in there on an already humid July day was almost intolerable but overall worth it! They landed all over and unfortunately some escaped much to the dismay of the young staff and their nets image

Hoping to see a lot more this year - have been planting for bees but butterflies are always a pleasant surprise.. verbenas, sedums, agastaches etc 

Last edited: 17 February 2017 14:50:41