London (change)
Sun 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 52 messages
25/06/2014 at 17:31

Where are all the butterflies?I saw a couple of Red Admirals earlier in the year, but nothing since.Usually about this time of year Cabbage Whites are trying to lay eggs on my cabbages,but not one is to be seen.I live on the West coast of Scotland.Anyone else noticed a marked drop in butterflies, or is it just me.

P.S. My neighbour hasn`t seen any either.

25/06/2014 at 17:36

We had a lot of butterflies early on in the year. I assume they laid eggs and the caterpillars are growing. Some will pupate into butterflies later on this year,others will overwinter as a chrysalis.

Edd
25/06/2014 at 17:44

Hope you are right fidgetbones.

Buddleia has a lot to answer for!!!

Hope i'm wrong.

25/06/2014 at 18:55

I saw this thread and thought I would post a photo of a butterfly I saw today.  I'm not well up on identification so looked it up and it looks very much like a black veined white which is common in Europe but not here - in fact the site said it was extinct in the 1920's but a few reintroductions were tried.  I'v been getting quite excited about it.  Someone is bound to burst my bubble now

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50768.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

25/06/2014 at 19:01

I've never seen one - I understood the reintroductions were thought to have failed - I suggest you get in touch with your local Wildlife Trust http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/ toot sweet!!!

I'm quite excited!!! 

Edd
25/06/2014 at 19:23

LesleyK. Keep up the pics please. The more i see the better i feel. Thanks.

25/06/2014 at 19:28

I saw a red Admiral today. didn't get a photo though. Also I had an emerald green moth resting on my canna leaves.

Edd
25/06/2014 at 19:34

fidgetbones.

Please Try and get the next one on your camera lens. Please 

25/06/2014 at 19:44

Really very skinny on butterfly sightings here in coastal SW Wales - a few Whites 'skulking' around the pea foliage; prospecting for laying opportunities, no doubt?? Otherwise nice views of Speckled Wood Brown (on several days in full sunshine, woods nearby), also single Red Admiral AND THAT'S ALL, FOLKS!!

25/06/2014 at 19:48

I've seen very few butterflies recently, but there seemed to be plenty around April time.

My peacock caterpillars have all disappeared though so hopefully some will emerge successfully 

25/06/2014 at 19:51

I said someone would burst my bubble  Just had a reply from UK Butterflies and it turns out it is a green veined white because the Scottish ones have particularly dark veins.  Ah well - it was a butterfly in the garden

25/06/2014 at 19:54

Seen quite a few small tortoiseshell here in West Sussex!

25/06/2014 at 19:54

It's a butterfly nonetheless and also we've all learnt something Lesley

25/06/2014 at 20:08

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50770.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/50771.jpg?width=500&height=350&mode=max

Not a butterfly but next best thing. I'd not seen one of these before.

Another one for the "new bugs this year" list.

25/06/2014 at 20:12

Think that's a Large Emerald moth - Geometra papilionaria

Isn't it lovely 

Edd
25/06/2014 at 20:12

To see butterflies in your garden, you need to entice them with the right flowers. Adult butterflies feed on nectar like the Buddleia bush or butterfly bush this provides them with nectar only and is a false non native plant . The young will not grow on it will not give any nursery cover for their young so they go else where.

Particularly those growing in warm sheltered places. Butterflies can be encouraged to visit gardens by growing a range of suitable flowers from March until frosty weather ends the butterfly season in October-November. Please, please encourage as many as you can.

I get, so disheartened with peoples genuine ignorance to help them, so sorry if  i offend. People need to know. There are other threads on here that will help to give you the full range of plants, needed.

Edd
25/06/2014 at 20:17

OWE!!!! fidgetbones/.

You are such a gem!!!

Thank you so mulch. ( spelling on purpose ) thought you might appreciate it.

Regards

Edd.

25/06/2014 at 20:21

Nectar plants can be anything with nectar, nothing wrong with buddleia. Larval food plants are very specific and need checking out to attract the larvae.

Butterflies are popular and everyone wants to attract them. Unfortunately the opposite is true for the larvae Sad. But I'll continue to grow all the larvae food that will grow in my garden

I woulda said that was Common Emerald Dove

25/06/2014 at 20:24

I have a good spread of suitable wildflowers/weeds for them, Edd. I gather the emerald moth likes oaks, but it was resting on the canna.(half way between two oaks.)

The orange tips like the honesty and garlic mustard.  Something must like the jack by the hedge. peacocks and commas like nettles.  I find lots of things like Verbena bonariensis and the buddlejas even if they are not native. I've usually got something in flower for them to feed on, even if its not a native.

25/06/2014 at 20:25

Agreed Nut - OH pointed at the pic in his book - I looked at the legend and transposed them 

1 to 20 of 52 messages