Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Butterfly Release

I've just let the first butterfly out of the house into the sunshine. The first of many that have over-wintered in the house.

• AlieshAliesh Posts: 179

that's amazing how lucky you are to have them spend the winter in your house !

i had a ladybird the other day when i was spring cleaning and giving my windows a good clean, think it came out of the window vent.

• Simon KnottSimon Knott Posts: 115

My daughter reared and released butterflies a couple of years ago.  Here is a link to the video of the release.

https://youtu.be/2qegvKY4Gwg

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

Really charming Simon, I did a batch of Small Tortoiseshell butterflies when I was a kid. Nettle leaf in a sweet jar. image

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I'm currently (well not today in this weather  image) letting lacewings out of the shed and have a couple hiding in the spare bedroom, and they haven't paid any board for Winter lodgings image

Runny I remember the B/fly on your wall image Not sure about moth. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    As an update on my released butterfly. The next day when the weather got bad, it was battering on the door to get back in!
  • Simon KnottSimon Knott Posts: 115

GemmJF thanks for your kind comments too. My daughter really enjoyed doing them.