Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Butterfly sightings 2014

I saw my first

butterflies of the year today - but was only quick enough to photo one sunning itself.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Nice Daintiness. I hope to see some of these this weekend. I don't think I've ever seen a comma this early

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Wow.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

We had a Peacock in the garden the other morning in the sunshine, and we've had a couple of Small Tortoiseshells over the past few days too - lovely to see them image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

We saw a yellow butterfly today, what I assume is a Brimstone. image

• Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

This Butterfly has been hanging out in my garden for the last few days, sorry picture is a bit blurry.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/JoelDeee/DSCF0011.jpg

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

A comma. 

I've seen those and small tortoiseshells and peacocks and brimstones. I think the whites I've seen are female brimstones, they fly in the same manner.

No blues or orange tips yet

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • madcatjomadcatjo Posts: 19

saw a peacock and a tortoiseshell yesterday in my garden in East Yorkshire. Wonder if there will be any Red Admirals this year - not one last year

• Heads up - there is a programme on 'Yesterday' (Freeview) tonight at 1000pm all about butterflies. Described as "Wildlife documentary capturing the various species of butterfly in Britain, many of which are in decline"

• biofreakbiofreak Posts: 1,089

I keep a nettle patch to feed the caterpillars plus to make a healthy veg plot brew. Last year loads of peacock and red admirals. Tansy sprinkled over brussels and broccoli keep the Cabbage White off. Have seen 2 brimstones to date plus a couple of commas.