Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cats have killed all my frogs

I have a small garden with a little wildlife  pond which has always had frogs in it. The neighbours cats started killing off the frogs so i put mess over the pond area to deter them but morning i go out to find the whole pond pulled to pieces muddy paw prints everywhere & no frogs is there any point in resetting the pond up again

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

As I said on your other thread, cats killing frogs is unusual, at least in the experience of other people. Are you sure that cats have been killing frogs. And are you sure that it was cats that pulled up your mesh. Have you actually seen cats interfering with the mesh.

Don't be detered from keeping a pond. Ponds are useful to very many other creatures besides frogs. Frogs only require a pond in the Spring to deposit spawn. Adult frogs prefer to spend most of thier life on land, in long grass, and similar damp places.

There's another thread about cats and frogs here:
    http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/help/5652.html

Trying to keep cats away from gardens is another subject, and there are numerous threads on that subject. Have a look at these:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/keeping-cats-off-of-garden---tried-and-tested-ideas-only-please/4803.html

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/wildlife-gardening/keeping-cats-and-wildlife-apart/5067.html

• Yep shoot the cats! I dont have one but all neighbours do, and they all come in mine to poo! One of them even sleeps in my shed, and frightens the life out of me every time i open the door - he's the first on my list!! image

• Gracie5Gracie5 Posts: 125

This sounds like the work of a fox, not a cat. Foxes are very determined, one even pulled out the Barley straw from my pond and scattered it around the lawn. One even dug his teeth into the lining resulting in a hole, they never give up when seeking out  prey.   

• I encourage wildlife in my garden and tolerate cats too. Grace, as with cats, unless I see them myself, I would not blame foxes.For 40 years I have watched cats, foxes badgers and birds in my garden. I have a pond too with fish and frogs but have not seen foxes "attacking " the pond. I have had herons take the fish and seen cats catch frogs and play with them. I rest my case.

• Gracie5Gracie5 Posts: 125

You mention Badgers in your post so I assume you live in a country setting. Here in London it is a very different case when it comes to the behaviour of foxes.  They are masters at surviving in urban situations and believe me they will stop at nothing to seek out their prey. Last week one climbed to the top of a large tree raiding a squirrel nest. I garden for wildlife in London and welcome all wildlife, including the fox.

• No Gracie5, I do not live in the country,assumption can be wrong. I live in the suburbs of a very busy town and am yet to see a fox square up to a squirell. I am 70 and yes, we do have squirells too.

• My cat is hiding in the grass and ambushing frogs. Shooting my cat seems the best answer here ????
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    A neighbour has a pond with fish in it we get a heron round here so he put a electrical fence up around the pond, it doesn't hurt it. Or you could get one of those animal or cat scarers,I don't think I've spelt that right.
  • Louise BLouise B Posts: 81
    I think people are joking about shooting cats.

I've been threatened off the neighbours about foxes getting my chickens and no sign that they've ever visited. I have one chicken and she isn't secured at night and nothing. All I have is an enclosed garden with a 3ft wall/fence and an entire dog wee'ing up everything.

If it is cats though, I'd suggest maybe steeper sides around your pond so the cats risk falling in if they reach too far and also lots of pipe tunnels and shelters for the frogs to use to exit the pond and scatter.
  • Louise BLouise B Posts: 81
    Hmm, maybe some chimes dangling around the pond too so the cats startle themselves with noise.