1 to 20 of 27 messages
16/01/2014 at 19:10
Up until recently I couldn't get birds in my garden, then my neighbour moved along with all his feeders and they have started to come to me for food, so very happy me. BUT......I am fed up with crows scaring off the little birds (wrens, tits and robins). Is there anything I can do (without harming them obviously) to scare off the crows and magpies without scaring off the smaller birds? Thanks.
16/01/2014 at 19:32

HI Tracey5 

These http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/ground-protector-wide-mesh.html help keep the bigger birds away from any food on the ground.

The magpies used to come after the suet blocks we hung up, so we had to find other feeders to hold suet for the birds that like it.  

16/01/2014 at 19:46

Hi Tracey5

Its kinda know your birds, the woodpigeons and crows in my garden like an easy life, and are quite happy to take food from my ground feeders. The Robin likes coming close to the house, so he/she gets mealworms in a dish outside the back door. The tits and house sparrows like getting in among the honeysuckle so I put the feeders in there for them. Being doing this for two years now and everyone seems happy,

16/01/2014 at 21:49
I would love the robins to come near the house but with 2 beagles is highly unlikely ???? Good advice though, I will give it a try. At the moment the pigeons are happy on the floor and they are fine, the crows are eating the fat balls hanging in the tree and the magpies......well they just dive into the tree and scare everything off!!!

Will try some adjustments, but can't do ground feeders. Thank you.
16/01/2014 at 22:42

My advice would be to try and enjoy all that visits, however I know some birds can be bullies so I would feed the larger birds like the crows and magpies in another part of the garden if you can. This will leave the seed feeders to the smaller birds?

I would also ask what you are feeding that's so attractive to the bigger birds? Let us know??

Generally sunflower hearts in a hanging feeder would only be attractive to your smaller visitors. If you are feeding bigger food on the bird table or ground then this may be causing your problem?

Higgy

16/01/2014 at 23:00
I have a nut hanger, a seed sunflower hanger and 2 fat ball hangers (each holds 3 fat balls), all in the same tree. I have a bird table and keep putting food on it but they aren't interested. Nothing special, just normal stuff and the big birds like the fat balls except the pigeons who like just picking up the seed scraps off the floor, which I actually like ????
AWB
17/01/2014 at 05:49

Shoot the magpies there are too many of them

17/01/2014 at 08:18

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/m/magpie/legal_control_methods.aspx

10/02/2014 at 12:53

Just declare that you're protecting chicks that are being raised. It's legal then!

I *think* that clause was meant to protect grouse being raised for rich prats to shoot for fun, but it doesn't *say* that.

I tried one of these for selective feeding but found that there was no size that wouldn't let something in but not out, so I kept having to let starlings or blackbirds out unless I set it so tight nothing could get in at all. Also, mallards can get their heads and necks in and reach the middle.

10/02/2014 at 13:03

It's illegal to discharge a firearm within 50ft of the centre of a public highway so not a good idea in most gardens. 

10/02/2014 at 21:51
I must have missed those last few comments, but wouldn't dream of shooting a bird or any other living creature......I was simply asking for humane ways of deterring them from scaring the small birds (as it says in my OP) . It upsets me that people automatically think to shoot a living creature sons and when it suits them
10/02/2014 at 22:34

Tracey - I made a 'cage' on the ground with an old wire hanging basket. I have a fat feeder inside it as well, and it means small birds can get in to access the  food and bigger birds like magpies and pigeons can't. (I put food out in the open for them)  The dunnocks and robins love it, and I attach an apple to the front as well so that the blackbirds come in, and they can reach some of the food nearest the edges.

I'll try and get a pic tomorrow if I get a chance 

10/02/2014 at 22:39

That sounds good fairy, i'd love to see pic too

11/02/2014 at 08:52
That's sounds like a great idea Fairy, I did see something similar for sale but it was so expensive, an old hanging basket is a fab idea. Also at the moment I can't feed on the ground because of my dogs so it would stop them stealing the bird food too Thank you fairy
11/02/2014 at 09:16

You can peg the basket to the ground using tent pegs, then the dog really can't get at the bird food 

11/02/2014 at 09:36
Thanks Dove, will do I love these helpful (and fairly easy) ideas
11/02/2014 at 09:38

Smaller birds like to hide/sit on branches of near by trees/bushes, scout out the feeding area then eat. So providing planting like that will help. I find crows/magpies like open lawn areas then eat. So moving feeders towards bushes and higher up on branches would exclude them to an extent.

11/02/2014 at 13:34

Here it is Tracey. It's one of those wall hanging thingies so it's against a square pot but a standard basket would do the job as well. Mine is on the remaining slabs in the garden which makes it easy to keep clean, but Dove's right - if you have it on grass or gravel you can peg the sides down to stop it moving. I have lots of pots round about it just now as the garden is still under re -construction,but they give a bit of shelter from the wind and weather!  

And no - it's not a real hedgehog - it was my oldest daughter's when she was little and we're quite fond of it 

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P2110001_zps4699dbaf.jpg

11/02/2014 at 18:32

What a good idea fairy, have a couple of those in the garage. Will make one those. Where did you get the little cage inside.

11/02/2014 at 18:37
Great idea Fairy, thank you
1 to 20 of 27 messages