London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
9 messages
12/07/2012 at 12:52

A donated deutzia has been languishing in the wrong place for a couple of years until the proper borders were reay.  Thay are now so I was going to move it back end. 

My quandary is this - is it of any value to wildlife?  I haven't got much space so everything in the garden has to be wildlife-friendly as well as attractive.

I don't have any particular love of the shrub and my alternatives for the spot are a black elder (already got) or a philadelphus (not got) - are either of those better for wildlife?  I'm thinking the elder is but I love the scent of philadelphus

12/07/2012 at 16:46

I would say the Elder would be better for wildlife, especially birds.. I love Philadelphus for their perfume but I haven't noticed much Bee activity on mine, might be because it has a lot of competition in my garden from other plants.

12/07/2012 at 16:52

That would be my instinct too - so it's out with the deutzia and donate it to someone else

Thanx Gracie

12/07/2012 at 19:20

The Deutzias in our garden are Bee magnets

Pam x

12/07/2012 at 22:03

The single flowered Philadelphus (Belle Etoile and Beauclerk) are much better for bees than the double-flowered varieties.  The complexity of the double flowers make it difficult for the insects to access the nectar.

13/07/2012 at 14:01

Oh 'eck Pam - now you've confused me!  Looks like I've got to find space for all 3 then - help I need a bigger garden!

13/07/2012 at 16:25

Sorry

Pam x

15/07/2012 at 10:37

I have a deutzia that is 20 years old and has been moved twice before it found its place in life, semi shade with afternoon and evening sun.
It blooms in April May with a mass of white flowers that attract bees and hover flies plus other insects and it lasts for a long time.
At around four feet high now (it is slow growing) I give it a very light trim once a year and a feed at the roots in spring otherwise it is no trouble at all
I would suppose that it being an early bloomer it helps the insects at a lean time for them so mine will stay.
Frank

PS my spell check just came up with Deities for Deutzia?

19/07/2012 at 23:05

My deutzia flowered it's socks off this year. Never seen so many flowers on it and a great bee magnet!

email image
9 messages