London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
5 messages
30/04/2012 at 12:32

Hi, I am new to this site and gardening. Have recently moved to a new home and am in the process of doing a wildlife pond which is 2.5m x 1.5m x 0.5m depth. i am having a small cascade waterfall going into the pond and will be adding various pond plants too i will be having a bog garden and also a wild flower garden.... what i need to know is do i need a pond filter and if i do would i get one with a uv lamp or would a uv be detrimental to good bacteria beneficial to the wildlife using the pond ie. newts, frogs, toads etc Any help/advice would be much appreciated

30/04/2012 at 12:57

No need for a filter in a wildlife pond, so long as you keep at least 60-70% of the surface water in shade.

This thread below may have some useful information with regards to water quality.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/pond-lacking-in-oxygen/2678.html

30/04/2012 at 18:22

theres no need for one as mentioned by mello but as you are making a waterfall and require a pump anyway just run that into a home made chamber filled with floss and filter media made from a plastic tub with holes drilled then you could always have fish as an option good luck

04/05/2012 at 18:10

I hope you get a pump with a very fine mesh you dont want all the underwater wildlife getting sucked up and churned up in the impeller, there the core to your wildlife pond.

07/05/2012 at 16:39

If you've not finished the build how about running the cascade from it's own reservoir and having the pond separately? Daphnia keep my wildlife ponds clear but they won't survive a pump or fish, although they thrive despite a bit of use from mallards! they also do the job in the open, sunny amphibian ponds with little shade..

email image
5 messages