London (change)
Today 20°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
6 messages
18/05/2014 at 22:52

Hello Mike. Glad to hear that you are back with us.

This morning, between 12.30 am and 4.30 am, our bluetit family of four hatched. We can watch them via a camera link. Ma bluetit and pa bluetit are now feeding their young every few minutes - one aphid at a time.Each aphid is a complete mouthful for the little ones who fall over backwards with the effort of swallowing them.

If we could only see things on that scale all the time, I am sure we would be less ready with the spray guns.

19/05/2014 at 06:39

So right Mike   I've been watching a newly fledged family of blue tits in and out of the clematis and roses, feasting on my aphids 

I also saw three pairs of ladybirds, all busy making more ladybirds, so I think the balance of Nature has been achieved for this summer at least - fingers crossed. 

19/05/2014 at 08:16

nice to see you mike, you're right, i'm just one of those born whittlers!

19/05/2014 at 08:20

mike just made myself laugh, read and answered your post then immediately posted about aphids!! heehee! don't panic !

19/05/2014 at 11:11

We have a frogs residing in our garden, no doubt eating all those pesky slugs and snails.  We very often some across one in our out-house when we have have a spring tidy out.  My neighbours got a cat last summer and this spring we have had to rescue a frog from its clutches about half a dozen time.  As a reward for their loyalty and good work in our garden I'm planning a wildlife pond for them - I just need to work out how to keep the dog out of it.  

19/05/2014 at 12:14

I have to hang my head in deep shame - I, or rather the garden, have been chemical free for many, many years - then came lily beetle!  Now, I how a large number of lilies, the vast majority in pots, and this year they have already been devastated by the red monsters.  We go out twice a day and kill all we can, but we were losing the battle.  I confess I went and bought a bottle of bug killer, I almost wore a hoody with the front pulled over my face in case anyone recognised me.  I waited till 8.30 pm, hoping the bees etc. would be in bed - then I sprayed the lilies in pots - only the lily pots.  I feel bad because I actually do not like chemicals, but I do love my lilies, and as this beast is an inadvertent import, nothing here will eat it.  What else to do?  

email image
6 messages