London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
7 messages
18/05/2014 at 22:36

I have noticed of late, several forum posts relating bugs, creepy-crawlies etc.  Suddenly my brain has clicked into gear.  This tiny child comes running in from the garden..  Mummy, mummy help.  Mummy naturally more than concerned, rushes to the little mights aid.  What on earth is wrong.  Mummy, I have cut myself.   Am I going to bleed and die?  Upon examination.  This tiny warrior has the most weeniest scratch to his arm.  No sweetheart, you will live.  Let's dab this on it.  All will be better soon.

Moral of the tale.  Enjoying your garden or estate.  Like myself, probably other keen gardeners noticed rather early in the year, aphids suddenly came from nowhere.  As sad to say.  I was unable to prune my roses this season.  Hence very early flower buds were forming.  These offered the aphids a tasty meal.  So I gave a quick spray.  Having noted that the bees and other pollinators hadn't5 awakened yet.  Also the bird world hadn't yet begun nesting.  To be honest.  I hate chemicals.  I would rather spend time picking off or destroying enemies by finger and thumb.  Now in the open garden the wildlife are thriving.  Think about all those natural history films you watch on TV.  At the right time, there is an abundance of food for the next generation.

Regards.

Mike.

18/05/2014 at 22:52

Hello Mike. Glad to hear that you are back with us.

This morning, between 12.30 am and 4.30 am, our bluetit family of four hatched. We can watch them via a camera link. Ma bluetit and pa bluetit are now feeding their young every few minutes - one aphid at a time.Each aphid is a complete mouthful for the little ones who fall over backwards with the effort of swallowing them.

If we could only see things on that scale all the time, I am sure we would be less ready with the spray guns.

19/05/2014 at 06:39

So right Mike   I've been watching a newly fledged family of blue tits in and out of the clematis and roses, feasting on my aphids 

I also saw three pairs of ladybirds, all busy making more ladybirds, so I think the balance of Nature has been achieved for this summer at least - fingers crossed. 

19/05/2014 at 08:16

nice to see you mike, you're right, i'm just one of those born whittlers!

19/05/2014 at 08:20

mike just made myself laugh, read and answered your post then immediately posted about aphids!! heehee! don't panic !

19/05/2014 at 11:11

We have a frogs residing in our garden, no doubt eating all those pesky slugs and snails.  We very often some across one in our out-house when we have have a spring tidy out.  My neighbours got a cat last summer and this spring we have had to rescue a frog from its clutches about half a dozen time.  As a reward for their loyalty and good work in our garden I'm planning a wildlife pond for them - I just need to work out how to keep the dog out of it.  

19/05/2014 at 12:14

I have to hang my head in deep shame - I, or rather the garden, have been chemical free for many, many years - then came lily beetle!  Now, I how a large number of lilies, the vast majority in pots, and this year they have already been devastated by the red monsters.  We go out twice a day and kill all we can, but we were losing the battle.  I confess I went and bought a bottle of bug killer, I almost wore a hoody with the front pulled over my face in case anyone recognised me.  I waited till 8.30 pm, hoping the bees etc. would be in bed - then I sprayed the lilies in pots - only the lily pots.  I feel bad because I actually do not like chemicals, but I do love my lilies, and as this beast is an inadvertent import, nothing here will eat it.  What else to do?  

email image
7 messages