Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ducks on the pond - an island??

I have spotted a pair of ducks on my pond twice recently, 3rd time today, and i think they were getting down to some serious ducky-business on the bank, but i didnt see them in time and the dogs spooked them.  

I was thinking of putting an island in the middle, so safe from canine attention.  Not sure how to do this .? Or if it would be welcome?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I've seen some successful floating islands used by ducks. You can buy expensive ones but I'm sure the ducks wouldn't turn their beaks up at a DIY version tethered to a weight in the middle of the pond. 

Some googling and a bit of imagination could lead to something really good. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

The ducks are usually pretty good at finding a suitable (in their opinion!) nesting site but they do need protection from foxes (sitting ducksimage) The ones here mostly nest in the bedding in the animal sheds, though sometimes choose my plant containers image The island would be a good solution. The drake will keep watch over his duck,((image) so needs a platfom with room for him to sit. The eggs are laid over a couple of weeks. Some get carried away and lay too many, more than they can successfully incubate. 6 to 9 ducklings is average. Incubation takes about 4 weeks.

However the ducklings, once hatched, do not spend all their time on water and on land they are very vulnerable to crows and magpies and quickly get picked off. I generally shut them up in an enclosed pen, as it is the only reliable way to ensure their survival, the percentage from free ranging ducks is very low. This probably won't be possible for you, with a wild duck, but feeding her may make her tamer. You will have to resort to crossed fngers and toes and if you are lucky may end up with a team of slug catchers!

• a1154a1154 Posts: 1,108

thats very useful buttercup thanks.  They are back today, so seriously looking to move in i think.  Thanks Dove ill have a google. 

• Anyone else think the new forum layout is awful?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

I really hate the lack of colour and as I had just about got to grips with the old format I am having to search my way around the threads - when I can find them! I am prepared to persist though but am not receiving any notifications in my email when/if there have been further posts related to items I have commented on. I get the same sense of bewilderment when the supermarket keeps changing all the shelves round! image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable