London (change)
Today 7°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
5 messages
27/03/2014 at 06:55

Last Saturday, saw whilst walking past where I have a Robin nest box sited, just happened to view, and saw much material. Initially thought I hadn't cleaned it out early winter, so ended up watching from my shed. 

Yes saw robins coming and going, taking grubs in, and removing poo sacks. so on Monday, ordered live meal worms from the usual company. Yesterday worms arrived, and actually saw 3 chicks, when I walked past. 

Thought it a bit early, hence ordering meal worms.

Btw actually seen my hedgehogs which have been hibernating under the shed. Hoping to find out if either has hog-lets In near future.

27/03/2014 at 07:14

I've heard lots of chicks in the hedgerows around my garden. Just hope the weather doesn't turn cold, doubt it though. fingers crossed.

05/04/2014 at 13:09

Wish I could get a Robin to nest in my bird-box. What's the secret

06/04/2014 at 09:50

Sadly the adults abandoned this nest, during our very cold snap end of last month. No robins been sighted since in my garden or near neighbours. Removed this wonderful nest from the box, found 5 deceased chicks, deep inside the moss cup, which was surrounded by dry willow leaves, which are in good supply as large willow 3 houses away. 

Most likely lack of live food in March, and thought it very early for chicks. Sadly my live meal worms arrived too late.

06/04/2014 at 09:55

That's so sad skyrunner. It highlights the importance of feeding them doesn't it? While we were all celebrating the mild winter and how far on plants were, it may have meant birds were struggling to find food for any young. It does seem very early for them - nothing else you could have done. I hope they come back and have another clutch in your nest later.

email image
5 messages