London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
19 messages
01/06/2013 at 21:56

I posted these pictures in the Potting Shed section but I guess they should really belong here. Also it might prompt others to consider putting food out for our nesting birds. Hopefully clicking on the photos will enlarge them...

I have blue tits nesting in my patio so I bought a half kilo sack of live meal worms for them...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps36ab526c.jpg

Placed an a glass dish and covered by a fird feeder cage...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zpscf685bc6.jpg

Nest box on my patio (viewed through patio window from my armchair)...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/21789524-8f8d-40fa-9df7-c5b08f856f82_zps2c9f8f4a.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/e166ac4b-fe83-4212-8fe9-251ad895e687_zps082a0703.jpg

Soon after I was overjoyed as the blue tits found them and started tucking in, then taking them to their chicks in the nest box...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps5cf246a8.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/thebear843/Garden/file_zps16d4c2ba.jpg

Im filling the dish up twice a day. Also had a nuthatch feeding on them today. 

01/06/2013 at 22:16

Most years I think there's enough food in my garden without me supplying it but this year I'm still feeding.

01/06/2013 at 22:35

Your right, the tits still go out and return with grubs/flies etc. I think feeding live meal worms etc helps take some of the strain off the parents, and gives them something to eat as well. Packed with protien.

01/06/2013 at 22:38

You get more bird watching time if you supply the food as well.

08/06/2013 at 10:51

I've often wondered what it must feel like to be a mealworm, lying on my back in a bowl and about to be snapped up by a hungry bird!  

Just a word of advice - if you plan to put out dried mealworms instead of live ones, please soak them in water first (overnight) and then drain.  Dried mealworms can dehydrate small chicks.

08/06/2013 at 10:55

My sister has a robin that comes into the kitchen for mealworms. It sees when they get up and hangs around outside the kitchen door for a handout. A bluetit has started to come in too.

Love the pictures Leadfarmer, and your garden.

08/06/2013 at 11:45

lovely pictures.. i feed the birds all year round.. have thought about mealworms.. but not really got anywhere to put them.. as all feeders are in the big apple tree.. and i have rooks and magpies that come round and pinch anything that is on a flat base.

i feed minethe choice of suet pellets (the most fav of all) sunflower hearts as well as shelled ones.. wild bird seed, nigera seeds and peanuts.. and finch seed.. and throw out halved apples for the blackbirds and thrushs..

not got room for much more..

blueboots.. my mum used to do this at her old house.. leave them inside the conservatory and he used to come in.. and when bigger bring the young ones in too. they are such lovely friendly birds.

i have a female blackbird that comes over when i am filling up the feeders and sits and waits for me to sprinkle some down for her.. she getting rather tame.. so gorgeous.

08/06/2013 at 11:54

Aren't birds brilliant!

I sound like that character from The Fast Show...

Good point about the mealworms Tim- will make sure I do that since it's been so dry recently. Had stopped putting them out a little while ago but feel it's useful for parent birds especially as this has been such a weird spring for them.

08/06/2013 at 12:00

I too feed mealworms and whenever I go outside the sparrows fly really close in case I've got something for them.  The only trouble is that the starlings found them and of course, they take great beakfulls at a time so it soon diminishes the supply.

09/06/2013 at 08:49

yeah thos starlings are gannets.. really. noise and fight all time.. have loads of young again this year and they empty the two large feeders of suet pellets very fast.. sometimes i hve to go and shoo them off.. as it is madness.

09/06/2013 at 08:54

B****y starlings! Someone across the road lets them nest in their roof and doesn't seem to thinkit's an issue..They devoured a really good fat feeder I had earlier this year which had mealworms etc in it. I moved it so that they weren't flying over my washing  from his house to reach it 

I pushed a little cane through it so that the two robins could sit and eat it too. It was lovely watching them on it together. 

09/06/2013 at 08:59

No starlings nesting in next door's roof this year - they did arrive but the sparrowhawk took at least one of them and they disappeared - I miss them although they were greedy.  I used to put a feeder up with the very cheap pink suet in it just for them - I made it easy for them to access and they left the other feeders alone 

They are an endagered species now, and they're so good at getting the leatherjackets out of the lawn so they're good to have around.

09/06/2013 at 09:04

I admire their tenacity Dove- but not the amount of c*** they deposit!

We had to block up bits of the roof at last house when it was being sold because their flight route was over a newly painted piece of fence - as well as the roof of course -and it wouldn't have looked great for viewers!

09/06/2013 at 09:49

Oh - the joys of watching wildlife!!!

09/06/2013 at 10:13

Ive placed my mealworms inside a squirrel proof cage which stops the starlings & magpies from getting to them, otherwise they would empty the dish in one sitting!

10/06/2013 at 12:49

We don't have starlings - not that I'm complaining.

I come from Liverpool, and when I moved to Swansea to go to college I had to ask someone what that gorgeous iridescent bird was. It was a starling, but I'd never seen anything like it. The ones in our back yard were all dirty grey!

We do have a lot of wood pigeons, but they hoover up all the seeds the goldfinches throw on the floor so that redeems them somewhat. I used to feed the finches mixed seed, but the little beggars would dig through the feeder till they found the stuff they liked, and throw the rest on the floor. Now they just get sunflower seed kernels, but are still messy eaters!

I watched a jay trying to get into a squirrelproof feeder yesterday - he didn't make it.

10/06/2013 at 14:10

Gfantic- I just saw your post from Saturday re the mealworms(which strangely wasn't there when I posted later )   I have a few little pieces in the mix in the seed feeder so maybe you could soak them and put them in one of those? Might try that myself now I've thought of it! I just put them on the ground - the dunnocks like them and, as they're ground feeders, I hide some amongst the pots which the big birds can't get in to! The robins find t hose ones too.

12/06/2013 at 13:51

Well the chicks flew the nest over the weekend. I was hoping they might have a 2nd lot of eggs but theres been no activity at the nestbox since. I had a little peep inside to check for any dead chicks but thankfully the nest was empty. Good news all round.

Im going to try and get a small nest box camera to fit inside for next year so we can watch them on the TV. Anyone know of a good one?

12/06/2013 at 15:18

LeadF- someone on here has one but I can't remember who. If you start a thread for it you'll get a reply I'm sure.

Gfantic - when I looked on the packet of mealworms it says - put them in a feeder!

When I made cake last night I soaked sultanas for it - I'll need to watch I don't get distracted next time or the soaked mealworms might end up in it instead...

email image
19 messages