London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
21 to 40 of 62 messages
18/09/2013 at 23:10

LOL I feel your pain Sara (insert cuddle smiley) Sometimes you can overload on information and everyone has different advice but I am sure it will all work out in the end and look amazing  My pond was a puddle compared to what you are doing lol.

18/09/2013 at 23:19

Take a look at 'building a wildlife pond' on u tube.  Opened my eyes for sure - having bulit a 3,500 gal Koi pond with filters and the whole shebang at my previous property many years ago was still not happy - glimpses of liner are a no no.  So - having just built a garden and pond in Cornwall I took care to ensure no liner would ever show and it would look as 'natural' as possible....

'Dry' stone walling on the shelving is the key ..... and then another dry stone wall and yet another to finish.... trust me its the only way.... but not cheap... I did it myself and it took 3 weeks 'fiddling' here and there to get it right for me.... a more modest 10' x 6' x 2' deep 'wildlife pond' (with a few small comet goldfish that the guv insisted on....) - hence not a real wildlife pond but I will watch with interest as to what takes residence....

18/09/2013 at 23:31

Oh Danny, I've looked at so many different blogs and you tubes I don't know what to think any more!  I am hoping to hide as much liner as poss - I think dry stone walling might be an over optimistic title for what I plan to do, although I hope the effect will be similar in a scruffier way!  As I have been thinking about this for so long, I have collected a lot of free rocks from people on ebay etc, plus about 40 bags of pea gravel for the beach bits - so I'm trying to do it on the cheap, as well as by myself!  I'd love to see photos of your finished pond too - it would really help me refine my vague concept of using the stone.

18/09/2013 at 23:45

'Dry stone walling' is not an over optimistic title' - provided its done properly - and scruffy is not a problem as long as it looks 'natural' - something a 'new dry' river would have 'left behind' as it were..... I've tried to do something similar in my little front garden (its a new build property on a small 'estate' of similar) - and to me less is more - so easy to overdo it..... keep it minimal is the way for me....

18/09/2013 at 23:59

Please get your camera out ... I'd love to see.

19/09/2013 at 11:11

I'll take some fresh pictures once its stopped raining and attempt to post them on here.....

19/09/2013 at 11:48

have you seen this 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-GOe-IFQUc

James

19/09/2013 at 13:17

When I buy my country estate, Clueless .... it looks fabulous but I really rather hope my pond build costs a bit less than that.  I have forwarded it to my boss though - she has always wanted a swimming lake and has the space.

19/09/2013 at 13:47

LOL

19/09/2013 at 13:52

I agree with you how ever if you listen to it. They have no pump just natural balance of different things going on in and around the water to keep it clean

James

19/09/2013 at 15:14

That's what I'm hoping for, on a smaller scale - I'm just getting nervous about getting it wrong

19/09/2013 at 20:44

I needed several cubic yards of soil to shape a new drive bank entrance, so I now have a ~12' diameter by 2' deep hole in the garden. Over winter and maybe by next spring I will have a pond. I bought a small glass fibre pond on ebay for a header tank into which I will run the rain-water from a downpipe, this will "appear" to run down a stream and into the new hole. At least that's the plan. Always had a pond in another garden but never this large. Main problems are the slope in the garden, and the flints in the soil and protecting the liner. Lots of old carpet and sand I think.

If you buy plants now Sara get a good deal. Nuseries can't get rid of them quick enough this time of the year, but don't expect them to grow. I am going to wait until early spring or just sit plants bought now in tubs etc. Don't pull plants apart now, the roots won't like it. Tub- trugs are great for storing wet pots in with the minimum protection over winter. They won't need any light if no leaves. Or for marginals just drop them in the edge of the pond as you buy them, and lift and pot properly in spring.

19/09/2013 at 21:24

Been a nightmare trying to upload images..... lets see what we've got here?

19/09/2013 at 21:28

Hmmm as I suspected - not what I wanted.  I cant find the gallery to upload to for this website. It won't upload photos from the 'tree icon' here either so I resorted to photobucket but am still struggling.....

19/09/2013 at 21:57

Another attempt ....

19/09/2013 at 22:01

Nope ..... just went straight to photobucket and showed ALL my photos...

19/09/2013 at 22:03

OK - another go .....

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n397/dannyson53/IMG_0073.jpg

19/09/2013 at 22:04

That seemed to work - so another.....

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n397/dannyson53/IMG_0072.jpg

All looks a little bare and new - because it is just 3 weeks old - but at least the waters cleared now...
19/09/2013 at 22:55

that looks fantastic, well done

19/09/2013 at 22:59

That looks terrific, and I see what you mean about the dry stone walling now - presumably you had to buy those lovely smooth rocks?  I was/am a bit worried about using the ones I've got actually IN the pond cos I scrounged them or  dug them up and they're all quite pointy.  I like your Easter Island head too!

Trillium - getting plants for not much is just what I need to do.  If I can lay my hands on some oxygenators, will they do their stuff over winter, or as not established will they just freeze to death?  I'm happy to do the main planting design in the spring, but it would be good (financially and motivationally) to get some things in place. 

21 to 40 of 62 messages