London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
41 to 60 of 62 messages
19/09/2013 at 23:13

Those 'lovely smooth rocks'  :-}  are known as 'paddle stones' and from my supplier cost £350 for a large 'dumpy' bag.  But u don't need to use these of course .... sharp edged are fine to as long as they are largeish ...... I have a few large Cornish flint type blocks in there and around the edge as well......

20/09/2013 at 11:15

I bought one floating water hyacinth in July for my little mini pond (like you I am in the excavation process of the new des-res for my goldfish) and that single plant has grown to not only fill the little pond, but I have 6 new plants taken from it floating in a big tub  waiting for their new home to be finished (eventually). So one plant maybe 6" x 6" has become many plants covering maybe 3' x 2' in just over two months.  On that basis, I would think that a starter plant pack for a much smaller pond would be fully sufficient because they will spread out by themselves.

20/09/2013 at 11:38

Sara anywhere that sells pond plants will be selling stuff off just now or in the near future so it's a good time to buy and you can just keep them in containers of water  or similar over the winter in a sheltered spot. I had water hyacinth many years ago and it's really beautiful- not too hardy up here so I lost it, but beautiful fragrance. Water mint is handy if you've a space to fill, but- like it's ground dwelling relations- it's invasive so keep it in containers. At my last house it had been planted at one end, where the spring fed into the pond, in 3 or 4 tyres so it wasn't an issue although it seeded around a bit.  Great for wildlife.

Lovely bit of work there dannyson.  It'll be really great next year when it all fills out and you get all the wildlife in. It doesn't take long either. It's the best feature to have in a garden by far. I miss the ponds at my last house and even if I can only have a tiny one here I'll do it.

25/09/2013 at 13:29
dannyson wrote (see)

That seemed to work - so another.....

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n397/dannyson53/IMG_0072.jpg

All looks a little bare and new - because it is just 3 weeks old - but at least the waters cleared now...

That looks brilliant. Don't suppose you have any sketches/plans of your pond showing the position of its different levels etc do you? Or did you just dig it as you went along?

25/09/2013 at 13:32

that's one of the nicest new ponds I've seen for a while dannyson

25/09/2013 at 22:33

Thanks for the comments - and yes I suppose I just did dig it as I went along .... but I knew what I wanted to achieve and the levels were the key which I constantly checked with a long spirit level and at times a long plank of 'straight' wood to sit the level on.

Its only a small pond about 10' x 6' x 2'.  Just four levels.  The bottom and the top plus two in between at around 8/10" each - just what looked right at the time to take the 'dry stone' walling/paddle stones to hide any sign of a liner.  And I have to say I'm well pleased with the result.  Having built a few ponds before - some much larger .... this is my best to date.

This one ....

was the one before at my previous house - a 3,500 gal Koi pond with multiple filters in a purpose built shed... somewhat different

25/09/2013 at 22:45

oops - image didn't show....

26/09/2013 at 22:58

'Scuse me folks - just need to test my ability to access this thread To evaluate one the forum problems we are still experiencing.

Thankyou

10/10/2013 at 16:23

On our lotty, by 'wor shed', we have a well established pond for the local frogs 'n' wotnot. I had suspected that the original liner had a leak in it, so I went to the nearby 'highly priced' garden centre and like the last of the big spenders, decided that a new liner was the easier and quickest option. So, £49.95 lighter, we flapped the new liner into and over the old one, having made the pond a wee bittie deeper, by about 150mm, or, 15 cms, or 6", or 0.5 of a foot. After getting it all re-filled with some of the original muck, slime and pond plants, it has settled down into a much nicer looking stretch of water. Not olympic but enough for the toddler pollywogs in the early spring.

Good 'ere, innit ! 

Gone

24/10/2013 at 20:00

Done it, until spring ... not v good pictures, but lovely compared to the concrete earlier in the year!  These may or may not work as a slide show (in which case you may get pictures of all sorts of god knows what) - I have a new photograph album package and I don't understand it at all.

24/10/2013 at 23:02

I hope you work it out so we can have a look Sara

25/10/2013 at 00:20

How weird, NC - they were there, I swear!  Give me a minute and I'll try the b thing again. 

25/10/2013 at 00:24

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33000.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33001.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33002.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33003.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

Well, they're here so far - let's see if they stay there when the post is posted ...

25/10/2013 at 07:45

Sara- what can I say! Looking tremendous! What a feature you've got now - and what entertainment you're going to get all through the year. You'll have a great time watching wildlife and seeing it develop further and further in years to come. You've worked so hard. Do you have a good vantage point to watch it from? Take a break and enjoy it 

25/10/2013 at 13:47

Thank you Fairygirl - I am pleased with it, and have only fallen in once so far; we already have had the visiting dragonfly and my husband and next door neighbour found a toad this morning, so I hope for toadlets in the spring.

Taking a break would be lovely, but I've been ignoring the back garden for a while, and there's been so much rain .... and as to the veg garden ....

25/10/2013 at 14:00

Know the feeling! Running out of weather now for projects. I've got loads of things to do but I know I can't do it all and some will have to wait till next year.  

The dragonflies are particularly beautiful. I used to rescue some at last house as we had a smaller pond which was netted - young fish were in it. They were quite happy to let me lift them out and set them free.

Try and avoid swimming in it too often though 

25/10/2013 at 14:16

It's enormous.

You'll be peering in there every day from next spring Sara.

Lovely job

25/10/2013 at 17:39

Thank you nutcutlet - I can peer in it from the sitting room when the weather's bad! Wildlife activity today included next door's springer spaniel (I knew it was only a matter of time) but her Dad told her off and she's a proper gundog so she probably won't do it again!

28/10/2013 at 20:37

Great pond so big, me trying to re do pond so want more wildlife back into the garden

12/03/2014 at 10:05

Dannyson, do you have any recent photos of how your pond has evolved please. 

Thanks. 

41 to 60 of 62 messages