Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

First Day Out

My garden is full of LBJs - little brown jobs - and they sing all day long and I adore them.  This morning I saw one of our resident Magpies (grrrrrrrrrrrrr) take off with a young fledgeling and I was in tears... image

But, this afternoon these little fellas popped out of the tree one by one and I just had to get them with my camera.  Unfortunately they were in partial shade so the quality isn't great but what a lovely way to spend the afternoon.  And yes, I was in tears again....

And finally - should I stay or should I go?  It took ages to decide.  Bless.

Our bird food bill is going up by the second.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Fab photos !!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I need to get rid of a blackthorn hedge, I can't do it until the sparrows that are being raised there are fledged.  I'm waiting until I know they've definitely gone before getting my friend with a chainsaw around.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Be patient.  Our resident sparrows can produce three broods in a good year so the last lot fledge very late.  I would wait till September if you can.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Crumbs!  I was thinking beginning of August, but September it is then.  A chap can't raise youngsters if his house has just been demolished!

• RobotRobot Posts: 137
    obelixx wrote (see)

Be patient.  Our resident sparrows can produce three broods in a good year so the last lot fledge very late.  I would wait till September if you can.

Yep - quite right.  Mine are all at it again image