London (change)
Mon 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
15 messages
21/10/2013 at 20:42

...Nah, but I did find a baby toad (no idea where it came from) on my shoe this afternoon!! And with a much excited and thrilled 8yo, we rehomed it in our new homemade wildlife hotel which comes complete with its own hibernaculum!

Chuffed is one word, hopeful is another as I've no idea if it's got any chance of survival  but we'll keep our fingers crossed!

21/10/2013 at 21:37

How lovely, I hope he makes it ... how big is he?  I hope the strange weather hasn't convinced lots of them to hatch out just in time to freeze but I don't know how big this year's spring babies would be by now.  Perhaps somebody else will know?

21/10/2013 at 21:38

How lovely Happygirl

I'd love to find a toad in this garden.  We have frogs, and neighbours have grass snakes.  One day maybe ....

That reminds me that one year we were camping, think it was in Yorkshire, and when we began to pack the tent away, I moved the airbed and there, between the airbed and the groundsheet, were two toads.  How many nights that week had I gone to bed with two toads?

21/10/2013 at 21:43

There are lots of toads in my garden, but haven't found a frog yet. Have grass snakes too, some quite big. Wonder if it's true that if you have grass snakes you don't have vipers.

21/10/2013 at 21:44

I haven't seen a toad or grass snake for years 

21/10/2013 at 21:47

Busy-Lizzie, I think grass snakes and vipers tend to prefer different habitats - vipers/adders liking dry heath type habitat, whereas grass snakes like lush meadows, ponds, gardens etc. 

21/10/2013 at 21:50

Had a resident frog in my GH but had to remove him when I cleaned it out. Have seen a toad but not recently, same with the newts, who may have moved next door.

Frog used to swim around in the plant water troughs

21/10/2013 at 21:55

Yes you are right Dove. I occassionaly see adders on bits of heath in Derbyshire. Grass snakes are fairly common around my local RSPB reserve which is full of ponds and gravel pits. Last spring I saw a grass snake swimming along behind a duck and line of ducklings and then there was one duckling less.

21/10/2013 at 21:59

Yes Punkdoc, we had grass snakes who would do that - they also ate lots of Gt Crested Newts that were in one of the cattle-ponds - they obviously didn't appreciate  that Gt Crested Newts are very rare and one can be fined £5,000 for each offence of interfering with them!

21/10/2013 at 22:11

Sara4, he was just the size of a 10 pence piece, so so tiny and so frightened looking but oh so sweet, for a toad!!

We have frogs too Dovefromabove, some quite large ones which I'm really pleased about! They've really helped this year with the slug control, though I think a slightly drier summer helped too!! I've no idea where they've come from, but they just seem to reside quietly in the garden and come out every now and then. We've not got a pond yet but I think we may need to do something about that, and soon!

Farmergeddun, thats a shame  Any frogs? My mum had a grass snake that used to torment her fish and lord it up in her rockery! It seems to have vanished since the pond was filled in.

Well, I hope my little Prince makes it through, there should be slugs a plenty where we put him, but is there anything else I can give him?

21/10/2013 at 22:19

Lots of frogs and newts just no toads.

AWB
22/10/2013 at 08:10

Dug out a fairly large pond some years ago. Got thousands of frogs and some toads.grass snakes then arrived for the first time.now very few frogs and less evidence af grass snakes.mother nature has a natural ability to create harmony and balance.

22/10/2013 at 08:24

Newts, great crested and common, are dominant here with a few grass snakes

23/10/2013 at 23:06

Yay!! I found another in my boot tonight!!  Easily pleased, me!!

18/11/2013 at 18:31

We did have a couple of (?adult) toads in the raised bed of broad beans, undersown with radish back in June. Hopefully they were busy mopping up slugs and other undesirables in lieu of rent? Since then not a sign - even clearing drifts of leaves just lately has not revealed their current hidey holes. Maybe they moved on to pastures new once the slug bonanza was past??

email image
15 messages