Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Frogspawn 2015

First frogspawn of the year for me - spotted this morning in Greater London/Essex.image

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

We don't see many frogs locally, but I did see my first Smooth Newt of the year yesterday. It popped up for air in the pond whilst I was inspecting my snowdrops. image

• Frogs only appeared a few days ago, noticed spawn yesterday or the day before, its late for here, hope that dosent mean more bad weather! image

Newts Gemma! You are very lucky, the only one ive ever had here i found in the dogs outside water bowl, i suspect it had escaped a bird on the roof, i put it in the pond, but havent seen it since image
  • Which part of the country are you in Bekkie?

• Ros on Wye - had first last Saturday (14th - Valentines day - aahhh!!) and this morning there was nine lots.  Earlier than last year by two weeks.  Don't know how much will survive as getting frosted most nights, but time will tell.  Had a whole load of building work done in the garden this autumn and was worried the frogs may have been harmed as we could still hear them croaking on the bank where work was done.  Needn't have worried.  Spring is definitely on the way, snowdrops in full bloom as are early crocus and hellebores.  Birds are singing, heard first blackbird yesterday.  Big smile on my face image

• Hi daintynessimage

Im in the west mids, my garden is fairly sheltered, ive seen frogspawn in Jan some years, but it often gets frosted, one year the whole lot dissapeared! Im hoping they have timed it right this year image

I still find it amazing how such a small pond attracts so much wild life image
  • We have transferred the pond into a new preformed one late last year then had to empty it back into pots whilst Dh sorted out the pond and have put everything back in it but do you think this has disturbed the pond life as we do not have any frog spawn yet.

• Hi Stagbeetle, It's early days for frogspawn - what part of the country are you in? Frogs always return to where they were spawned so they should be on their way (if you had them in the old pond). With a preformed pond ensure you have good shallow or gently sloped entry and exit points as the depth and accessibility of the water will be more important to them than the fact it is a new pond. You seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to preserve the water/mud etc from the old pond, I hope your diligence will pay off. Let us know when you see any action!

• Gosh I am amazed at people seeing frogspawn already. I wasn't expecting to see any for weeks yet!
  • I am in Cornwall, have just checked the pond but no spawn yet.

My neigbour gave me 5 common newts 2 years ago, he was demolishing a patio where he found them under the slabs, I saw one last year but that is all. I did find a newt crisp on my own patio when it was very hot. My sister on the Isle of Wight has a pond full of newts. I do have fish in the pond so they probably eat the eggs and the baby hatchlings of any frogs and newts.

• The heron has arrived....it has to be the same one each year...I wonder how long they live image 

He or she  definitely has a good memory for a good fishing opportunity - I hate it when I see the frog's legs dangling out of its beak.

That's nature, though!  image