London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 34 messages
30/06/2014 at 21:22
Hello! I'm only starting this thread after witnessing a grey chase off some little sparrows as it tried to feed. I wanted to know what other people think about greys? I know that some people loathe them and others are indifferent to them.
30/06/2014 at 21:58
Brunswick Stew, from James Beard's American Cookbook. 3 thinly sliced onions, 2 cloves garlic, 2 or 3 squirrels, skinned and jointed, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon rosemary, 2 cups chicken stock, 1 bay leaf, half a cup of Madeira, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 cup chopped tomatoes, 1 cup broad beans, 1 cup sweetcorn, 1 cup chopped okra, parsley.
30/06/2014 at 22:02

Giggle!

30/06/2014 at 22:03
Possibly not the best thread for someone who feels bad about picking a mushroom! I still stop and stare at squirrels when i see one, of course i like them
30/06/2014 at 22:04
I like them too. They are delish.
30/06/2014 at 22:07
Erm... Sounds delicious! I guess eating them would be similar to the whole cray fish thing that's going on in our rivers. What wine would you recommend with that stew anyway? Red or white?
30/06/2014 at 22:07
Even tho im veggie, i have no problem with folks catching and killing for food, as long as its done well and with as little suffering as possible
30/06/2014 at 22:17
Here here! I think I'll leave extra food out for the birds so the greedy squirrel doesn't starve the little birds!
30/06/2014 at 22:20
You cant blame the squirrel for looking for an easy meal, must be like mcdonalds for it! Why not try monkey nuts in shells, it might slow it down a bit!
30/06/2014 at 22:46
Grey squirrels are yet another example of human beings mucking up the eco system. I have no quarrel with red squirrels because they are native to the British Isles. The grey squirrel is a horrible American import. It will eat birds' eggs in the nest, eat fledglings, destroy tree bark and kill trees.

I would not wish a painful death on any living thing. I don't kill slugs and snails. When I was a child you could get a cash reward for turning up at a police station with a grey squirrel's tail. (It was assumed that the squirrel was now deceased and not wandering around without a tail). Even that failed to halt their increase in numbers.

The crayfish are the same. Here the water bailiffs go hunting for them and try to keep their numbers down.
30/06/2014 at 22:55
I think we're stuck with them forever! I know in Wales there is a sanctuary for them but it is a huge shame that a native species only occupies pockets of the UK.

This grey is getting peanuts from somewhere and burying them in my pots! I'm fed up of pulling out peanuts that have started to root. Either the squirrel is very forgetful or the little bugger is trying to cultivate its own crop of peanuts!
30/06/2014 at 23:03
The answer- cull humans!
30/06/2014 at 23:05
We seem to be doing ourselves in quite nicely, all things considered.
30/06/2014 at 23:12

I have a beagle that thinks she is a squirrel and when the apples drop she buries them......a couple of months later she will come in the kitchen with a dirty face and a mucky (but otherwise perfect) apple in her mouth which she then eats, soil and everything.

As for the squirrel debate.........I'm sitting in the fence on that one I'm afraid, not worth getting my blood pressure up for as I will probably just need it agree to disagree with most people 

30/06/2014 at 23:24
It is a tough one. I think really it boils down to would I stop feeding the birds to stop the squirrels? I know I wouldn't so I'll have to put up with them! Despite them being non-native I do think we have to give them, very begrudgingly, some credit as they are very resourceful and pretty intelligent.
30/06/2014 at 23:51
And cute
01/07/2014 at 22:29
We were at Whinlatter Forest in Cumbria recently. There is a zone around the forest that's grey squirrel free. I don't mind a grey squirrel in the garden as there aren't reds anywhere near us. However, after seeing the photos of the reds with squirrel pox ( the greys carry the virus but don't suffer from it) I'm all for protecting the reds. Anyone remember Tufty the red squirrel? A kids book maybe 50 years ago.
01/07/2014 at 23:11
Yes, he was an employee of HM Government's Public Information department. Can't say a talking squirrel fooled me much.
01/07/2014 at 23:34
I would love to see a full scale return of the red but I think, given the current climate, the Government probably has higher priorities!

I have heard of local groups getting together to conduct their own cull but I think this probably causes more problems than it solves.
02/07/2014 at 00:14
Greys are destroyers of young trees.

They need their ears cleaned out with lead.
1 to 20 of 34 messages