London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Edd
11/03/2014 at 10:36

Hi Pipstrelle.

I do clean out the frass now and again. I am a bit fussy and have several containers (with lids). I take out the larvae and beetles and put them in separate containers (different tubs for different stages of the life cycle). Then what is left in the tubs is frass made up of eggs and poop, so I have to save it for a couple weeks with some oats, let the larvae hatch, and then sift them out. After that though i have a bucketful of frass! Meal worm frass looks a lot like sand.

You can see that it is very fine compared to the wheat bran in the back ground.

http://www.westknollfarm.com/mealie_ass_frass_10-11.jpg

Mealworm frass is an exquisite plant fertilizer – indoors and out. I do, however, recommend not having it on the top of the soil for indoor plants as it might affect your condition. Otherwise, I have not met any kind of plant – leafing, flowering, or fruiting - that doesn’t love mealworm frass. It is a natural bloom stimulant, and has high nutrient levels.

As it causes plants to excrete chitinase (see below), i don't compost it! It acts as a great natural anti fungal and i brew it up with my red worm compost and make a Tea for plants.  

I will update both threads and include how to make worm tea.  

Here is the scientific bit about frass.

"It causes plants to excrete chitinase due to high chitin levels, it is a natural bloom stimulant, and has high nutrient levels. Frass is known to have abundant amoeba, beneficial bacteria, and fungi content. Frass is a microbial inoculant, also known as a soil inoculant, that promotes plant health using beneficial microbes."  

Regards

Edd.

Edd
11/03/2014 at 11:42
patty3 wrote (see)

Hi edd

i feed the birds,  and liked to grow them for the robin, all went well untill they stopped changing i just had a small tub of beetles.

i set them free into the garden

i may try again in the autumn.

I have just discovered something interesting today. I had moved a tub of beetles (only) into the garage and forgot about them. I usually separate them out regularly.

I was surprised to find no young, everything has come to a screeching halt.  They have been laying eggs but i found a beatle munching on a small worm. They are eating their young! This is the answer to your problem patty3.

You need to separate the beatles from their bedding at a regular interval.

We live and learn.

Regards

Edd.

Edd
11/03/2014 at 14:04

Please see page three under Leachate/Worm tea. on the link below for the info on how to make tea. (worm compost tea that is)

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/vermicomposting-for-begginers/255110.html

22/03/2014 at 09:25

Bump up

Edd
24/03/2014 at 18:58

boot.

Edd
06/05/2014 at 23:09

09/06/2014 at 19:22

Thats all really helpful stuff.  Where do you get your bran and what do you use?  There seem to be lots of different opinions out there?

email image
21 to 27 of 27 messages