Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Growing wildflowers

I'm growing wildflowers from a packet of seeds and was wondering should I thin the seedlings out a bit, as they are quite  close together, or will this be better for a more natural look?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They need growing space to develop, I'd treat them as you would any plant grown from seed. The slower/weaker ones will get swamped if you leave them and you'll end up with the thugs and the smaller/slower ones will give up.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hi,

I started to create a medow with wild flower seeds purchased.

First patch of my plot (6x3m) grew a lot, most prominent & the only one flowering & atracting a lot of "very small" bubblebees is Borac, some tiny Yellow Rattle, and this tall to my chest, long leafed with the white Fluffy things on its every notch up its stem.

Anybody knows what it is?, I could not locate it on the net.

In between showers now I cleared the thick grass from the second patch (6x4m) & seeded it with same as the first patch. Hope they germinate this late 20th May 14.

Thanx              ...........nick

Hi Nick, that's an interesting looking plant. Are we looking at flowers or seed heads there?

• No idea, appears by root of leaves. No flowers showed up. Plant is nearly a meter tall.

thanx                   .............nick

I don't recognise that one. I hope someone will

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276
    Hi Nick, the leaves and stems look very similar to the Common Corn Cockle that I grew from a pack of butterfly attractors and was kindly ID'd by the good people on this forum.I have one out here in a tub that's maybe nearly a metre now but what the white fluffy thing is I don't know. It looks like a feather?

They do look like corncockle apart from the fluffy thing don't they.

See if you can remove it Nick or if it's part of the plant

• Thanx all,

Flufies grow on all of these plants, I will remove one & show you.

Are all the bubble bees (15-20) so small because they are young?, not one large one appeared yet.

Hope is not a disease          ..........nick

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

A bit of a long shot here, but what about the white hairy caterpillar of the Miller Moth ?

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=4580 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Bringing this one to the top so landgirl can have a look at Nick's plant