Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gruesome Discovery

This morning I was fishing blanket weed out of my pond when I turned to look at the peanut feeder. It's one of those cylindrical metal ones with about three sets of perches on. Inside and upside down was a dead starling which had got stuck, I couldn't believe it, the poor thing must've decided to poke it's head down in there and inched its way in and couldn't get out. Very unsettling, I can't stop thinking about it. image

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

I'm not sure what kind of feeder you mean but I think you should tell the manufacturer, Jack, it might be a design flaw...

But I know what you mean, I'd be thinking about it too...image

Wearside, England.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Sorry to hear that Jack image  please don't beat yourself up about it - feeding the birds and creating a wildlife garden has done far more good than can be outweighed by one sad incident.image

But as Victoria says - it might be a good idea to alert the manufacturers.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

So sorry Jack, but don't blame yourself. Maybe he was a poorly bird and might have died anyway. Sending hugs.

• Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

Hello, 

Thanks all. It's just when you think about it crawling in, then struggling there until it died, stuck upside down, suppose I just have to put it out of mind.

I was trying to find one that looked similar, I found this link

http://www.gwpgarden.com/bird-feeder.html

, the No17, painted wire feeder. My mother in law gave me it, because no birds came to her garden. I'm thinking now, maybe it was supposed to have a top cap on it. For now I've woven garden wire at the top to stop any other bird getting in.

Thanks all.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Sorry to hear that Jack, it's very sad but don't feel bad, it's nature unfortunately image Think of all the birds that survive the horrible winter weather because you give them food, I bet it's more than one image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I am sorry for you; what a sad thing to find.image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I found a blue tit in one of those once but manage to rescue it.

I dont like those feeders with the hole in the side, you can get them in plastic as well.

I have square plastic ones that the food just drops into a channel in the bottom, there is nowhere they can get trapped. They cost 7.99 for 3 and are filled with food, I think they are a good safe buy.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• What a shock! Really traumatising. Such a shame image

I hope you can get it out your head soon.

The Grateful Deadhead