London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
21 to 37 of 37 messages
30/01/2014 at 21:18

If the rain lets up I'll go to our local garden centre in Derby. If they don't have any I'll go back to Buckingham Nurseries, they were very helpful. I couldn't wait for cuttings to take and grow to cover a bare fence. My wife is not very understanding, when she wants a fence covered she wants done then and there.

31/01/2014 at 00:05

Findern garden centre in Derby is very good. (just off the A38 near to the toyota plant)

31/01/2014 at 10:54

Yes, know Findern garden centre well. Derby Garden Centre which has been taken over by the Blue Diamond group is closer to us but not as good plant wise as Findern. 

31/01/2014 at 11:44

You could grow the native Clematis vitalba, old man's beard, on a trellis in the meantime, it's really fast growing, fast enough to reach six feet in a year, it isn't evergreen but it's good for wildlife, then when the Viburnum has grown you can get rid of the Clematis if you don't want it anymore. You might need two to cover a fence panel quickly. Naturescape sell them, that's where I got mine to cover a gap. Failing that how about Rose Rambling Rector, grows very fast, is almost evergreen and has hips which the birds will eat. Mine grew 3 meters from a bare root six inch high stub planted less than two feet from a 4m high conifer

01/02/2014 at 01:17

Thanks Jim for the suggestions, the problem I have is that the fence is my neighbour's and I am hesitant to plant against it. Any suggestions on how to get around my predicament.

01/02/2014 at 16:50

Yeah, you could get some pretty cheap stakes put some wire between and grow the Clematis on that if you want to go Clematis way. But I'm sure your neighbour wouldn't mind if you put some brass screws into the posts and put wire between for supporting your climber. 

I meant to add to my last statement above about the Rambling Rector that it grew 3 meters in the first year. It's been in just two now and has almost filled or at least softened the large gap I bought it for. It would probably be too big for your space but it would certainly grow faster than anything else I could name. Did I also mention that it has beautiful scent and rage clusters of smei-double flowers. The bees still get a good helping of pollen and nectar. It isn't native though. 

Another native with berries and is evergreen is Ligustrum vulgare. Now, the British origin ones are not fully evergreen but the Italian origin ones are. If you go for that one be very careful not to get confused with Ligustrum ovalifolium, the common privet, L. vulgare has berries since it flowers much earlier in its life that the common privet, which is from Japan. L.v. has the same kind of white flowers, smells very nice and attracts bees and butterflies. The berries are poisonous to us but the birds eat them. 

If you don' have Viburnum opulus though, I do recommend it. It's so lovely. A bit unruly if you want something formal but I doubt you do if you want a wildlife plant. 

01/02/2014 at 19:15

Tried to get Viburnum opulus from my local garden centre but they didn't have them in stock, said they would try and order it for me. It makes me laugh, the centre has everything imaginable except a selection of plants.They must know what they are doing because we had to queue to get into their huge parking today. 

The climbers will be difficult to organise because the fence posts are concrete. I like the idea of the Ligustrum vulgare but my book says the  fruit are black. Do birds eat the black berries? 

01/02/2014 at 19:27

Yeah, just think of all those purple pavements in autumn after the birds have been at the Elderberries. They are native don't forget. 

Funny, the car park at my favourite garden centre is always packed, yet you go into the garden centre and it's empty, just the staff. Where's all the people with the cars? In the cafe!

01/02/2014 at 19:59

If my garden centre don't come up with the goods can you recommend somewhere I can order the Ligustrum vulgare. I'm sure to told me but I can't find it.

01/02/2014 at 22:20

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_10276.html

back to Buckingham nurseries Ahmadmirza

01/02/2014 at 23:56

Thanks nutcutlet, remember it now, spoke with Mandy, Buckingham Nursery. Will give our local a chance, if they don't come up with the goods will contact Buckingham. .

02/02/2014 at 08:58

As Jim said earlier, make sure you get the right species. You're much more likely to find the  hedging privet at a GC

02/02/2014 at 19:33

Yeah, you don't want to buy the Japanese stuff, this is the kind you'll see in every other garden in the country and of very little wildlife benefit. 

By the way, my Wild Privet are still completely green with the mild winter we've had. They come very easily from hardwood cuttings too if you want to be frugal, or stool them, plant your plants a couple of inches deeper than the nurser, then dig them up next year and divide them up.

03/02/2014 at 11:14

How do you determine where a plant came from if it is not tagged, which most of them are not.

Talking about wildlife, my hedge has not one evergreen shrub, only the Hawthorn are starting to leaf up. 

Incidentally, are Cornus alba and Callicarpa any good for birds to feed on?

03/02/2014 at 11:29

Good question, if it isn't labeled of course you don't know, but if you buy in winter, the ones with the leaves are probably the ones you want if you want evergreen. Any native shrub is going to be good, some are better but if it's native and produces berries, you can be sure something will eat it otherwise there's no point in the plant putting resources into making berries. You really don't need to look up Callicarpa to know they aren't native. Personally I think they look like tacky Christmas decorations but if you like them it's your garden. There's loads of good websites listing the best plants for wildlife. You can't go wrong with Hawthorn and Ivy growing through it, mix in some blackberries and raspberries and you've got a great wildlife hedge. Everything else is your choice and taste. 

03/02/2014 at 11:29

Do you mean where a plant is native to or where it was grown Ahmad? Anything that comes bare rooted from a hedging supplier will have been grown in this country.

From a garden centre with a fancy label and price to match, probably Holland

We don't have a lot of native evergreens, you won't find them in a wildlife hedge collection, scots pine, yew, holly, juniper. maybe box, not sure about that one.

you could grow ivy through it. that's good for wildlife. Not good for a formal hedge but fine in it's place

03/02/2014 at 12:14

Will scrub around the Callicarpa and stick with native shrubs. I am not found of ivy even though they are good for wildlife because it over takes a garden and is one of the causes that have contributed towards trees being blown down during recent storms. Saying that I do have an ivy growing over a low brick wall which is easy to keep under control

Have looked at my neighbours fence and figured out how I can connect wire to it so will order the clematis. Would also like a rambling roses but find them too hard and time consuming to prune. 

email image
21 to 37 of 37 messages