Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 40 replies

Hefty

so i decided to plant a few of my extra plants around a tree on the way out of where i live, so i could see nice some colour as i leave. and then i kept adding and now ive turned it into a proper garden of sorts

i get lots of nice compliments and people have said its inspired them to do their own gardens etc

ive had plant donations left on my door step and a nice lady gave me £10 towards it and since then she has started to plant things in her front garden! and ive met and spoken to more people in the last month of doing this than i have the whole time ive lived here (14 years)!!!

Love it Hefty...long may you carry on with it!!

Missy Krissy

That's totally awesome! Well done you 

Victoria Sponge

I think that is spreading Hefty

Liking that lungwort and is that a bugle at the front kerbside pic?

Advertisement

1Runnybeak1

So pretty Hefty.  I'm sure it cheers people up and hopefully encourages them to do the same somewhere,  

Shrinking Violet

Wonderful!  It's people like you who really do bring out the very best in community spirit!  If there was a local spot that I could indulge in  I would - but it's all very rural or well tended.  Well, except for next-door's front garden - but that's another matter entirely

Hefty

@victoria sponge - yeah thats right its an Ajuga - whacked it there to creep along the ground as cover

thanks everyone, its def become a talking point with people and im now gonna look for other spaces i can do also - without causing the council any problems when they need to come and mow the grass

but yeah its been really cool talking to people and telling them more about the plight of the bees etc etc

Looks lovely Hefty, I'm glad that your work is being appreciated by your community. There are a three areas around my house that I've often thought about improving with a few plants but I've always chickened out of going for it. There are three planting holes in a sort of crazy paving area near a pathway. The largest is probably only 2ft wide, the middle 18inches and the smallest 12inches wide. I have some divided geranium Wargrave Pink which is evergreen and doesn't seed everywhere, it has a long flowering season too. So they could go in that space. There is a foot deep border under a magnificent horse chestnut tree, this is pure leaf mould . Would our native primroses like it there? Then there is an area with just Hawthorne with poor soil around it probably 3 yards wide. I've got a purple butterfly bush going spare. So do you think these would be suitable as a start? I could add a few mini daffodils in the autumn too. 

Hefty

that sounds great! any unused or unloved space no matter how small can accommodate some nice plants / flowers and yes i believe primroses would b more than happy there as they are woodland plants anyways (but im not a primrose expert )

you can also just chuck some seeds down and see what happens thats what im gonna do in other areas i find

its a real nice addition to my gardening day

Hefty

p.s the rubber ducky in the "micro water feature" was added by someone else - i went out one day and there he was bobbing about

B3

I think it's a good idea in an urban area, and very much appreciated but someone has been planting neon coloured dyed heathers around here. That's vandalism!

I'm a bit concerned about people chucking packets of seeds in a rural setting. They are not always appropriate.

Joyce21

Small things like that can have a big impact Hefty and put a smile on people's faces.

I put daffs in every year.  I wouldnt know how to expand that to other flowers as daffodils seem to be ignored by rabbits.  Anything else would get eaten. 

I agree about the seeds in rural settings, it needs some thought, but i think daffs are ok. 

B3, l agree with you regarding neon heathers. The close where l live is not home to many keen gardeners. Most people only have lawn and a couple of shrubs by their front doors. So l wouldn't plant anything that could become a nuisance, or that l wouldn't mind cutting back when needed. There is a large bed  by a car park area that is planted with strawberry shrubs. These used to be cut back annually by the council but have been neglected by them for 2 years now. Many of my neighbours have moaned to me about the state of it whilst I've been tending my front garden lately so l think maybe it's time to get some support and hopefully help and have a go at improving things. 

Advertisement

Not strawberry shrubs, snow berry shrubs.

Hefty
I hear u guys about the seeds - tho I'm talking really small areas of bare earth (near trees / lampposts etc) - course it's important to think it through properly and also it's then your responsibility to maintain it etc

That's what I'm doing
Tootles

Well done Hefty. That's so lovely.

I started a gorilla garden three years ago on a strip by our house. I've put in rhubarb, gooseberries and raspberries as well as plants from my garden that I couldn't find a home for. I weed it every couple of weeks. Very satisfying. 

Hefty

yay thats ace - ive been living in the same place for 14 years and theres so much bare earth that has not been touched for that whole time, so i figure no one will mind if i make them look nice etc

thinking of doing a "help yourself" herb garden and maybe even some veg somewhere......

scroggin
a1154 I wouldn't plant daffodils in wild areas only urban sites as there is a concern that daffodil cultivars are hybridising with the native daffodil.