Forum home Wildlife gardening
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Half Barrel Pond

I want to set up a half barrel pond.  How do I go about it and I need step by step instructions

• JulieH3JulieH3 Posts: 85
    Hi TraceyA2, i created a half barrel pond in spring, though mine is a plastic half barrel. I've got a couple of biggish stones to stand the marginals (monkey musk and forget me nots) on, a couple of oxygenating plants (elodea crispa) in and a dwarf water lily. I Left it a couple of days after filing it with water before i put the plants in and they all seem happy. Had 3 frogs the other week but they've gone now. I think I've got glass worms on the lily leaves so am rubbing them daily. Its fun and we did see a dragon fly once too
  • TraceyA2TraceyA2 Posts: 116
    Thanks for your message. What size barrel did you use and did you not put anything else on the bottom. Any chance of a photo please? ????
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

This site http://www.puddleplants.co.uk/Barrel/ has lists of plants suitable for half-barrels.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thanks for the link but I am afraid  that I would have no idea how to set this up.  Would there be instructions do you think?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Oh thanks for that.  Looks like I am a bit late to do it this year though image

If you Google 'container ponds' loads of sites come up and i think i also got a booklet from World of Water but that was just on ponds generally. I'll take a photo later but keep your expectations lowimage . Like everything else in my garden its a work in progress. I'm waiting for the lily to cover more of the surface to clear the water up a bit for one but don't want to put in more plants yet until i can see what these do. Deciding where to put it is a biggie as it's not easy to move once full.

Oh never thought of that Julie!! Thanks

As promised. The marginals have just about finished flowering and I'm hoping the children allow the lily to flower. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It's worth mentioning that insects, birds and other creatures may want to visit and use the water, so if you can put a few bricks (or similar) stacked at one side so that  they can perch to drink safely that will be appreciated by them. It will give the pond more appeal for you as well watching them visit. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...