7 messages
12/01/2013 at 05:47
Has anyone got a suggestion what is dragging small twigs half way down into the soil between paving so they stick upright? I've noticed it for ages but now I've got half buried leaves sticking out of the raised flower beds. I'm intrigued!
12/01/2013 at 06:43

Hello lilly - It is probably worms pulling things down

Pam LL x

12/01/2013 at 09:43

Worms drag leaves into their burrows, so that the leaves can be broken down, and can be digested by the worms. By passing through the worm, leaves and other plant material, becomes soil. This is how compost is made. Worms are very important to a healthy garden. The plug of leaves in the entrance to the burrow also protects the worm from predators.

12/01/2013 at 09:48

I have an area paved in sections like a cut cake. When the autumn leaves have been lying there for a while and are wet you can see the sections marked out in upright leaves. I love that, it reassures me that my worm population is alive and well

12/01/2013 at 10:13

It is the secret race of people that live under the ground that we never see- making nests so at some point they will emerge and take over the world

Or just worms

12/01/2013 at 10:18

The link just below is about Charles Darwin's researches on earthworms. Prior to Darwin, gardeners had thought worms were some kind of pest. Darwin showed that worms were actually a fundamental part how a garden works...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=100627614

Charles Darwin did a whole range of experiments with earthworms. They included seeing which types of leaves worms prefer (Carrots and Phlox are favourites), and whether they will eat raw or cooked meat (they do, both). And from those observations he was able to draw conclusions about their digestive systems.

12/01/2013 at 12:26
Well thank you to all of you who replied. I did think of worms, obviously, I just hadn't noticed it before I suppose, and I didn't think worms would use twigs. Ain't nature grand!
email image
7 messages