London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
5 messages
26/07/2012 at 17:22
Ive just found a harlequin ladybird climbing up the inside of my kitchen window. Have caught it and currently have it trapped under a glass on the kitchen table. As these critters are not native to these isles, should I terminate it or live and let live (its not its fault its here?) and let it go free. I did have a look on the following website, but it doesn't say anything about what to do with them when they are found http://www.harlequin-survey.org/default.htm I did fill out the survey though!
26/07/2012 at 17:30

I think we had a discussion about this last year on the old beeb board-they are here now- all you would is to kill one and what difference would that make? -in my opinion please don't-we just have to get used to this invader-good or bad

26/07/2012 at 17:51

I think the accepted wisdom is to leave them be and let them go on their merry way, because they're here and we can't wipe them all out, and also it would be awful if people thought they were squidging a harlequin and it was a native.

26/07/2012 at 18:22
Thanks guys, although my other half made the decision for me. Went into the kitchen, couldnt work out why there was a ladybird trapped under a glass and let it go free thinking I was going to do the same thing but got distracted half way through!
04/08/2012 at 16:49

The advice I read was NOT to kill as there is too much risk of people not recognising some of the more obscure natives and thinking they are the "bad guys" (eg 14 spot, kidney spot, 10 spot and so on)

email image
5 messages