London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
18 messages
07/05/2014 at 17:49

I am now officially hedgehog free  All my overwinterers have been released. No hogs in my sheds, caravan or house. spent the today and yesterday scrubbing caravan to get rid of the smell of hog! My house is a renovation project and the caravan, whilst old and dated, is my refuge away from the chaos and mess in the house. Its clean, comfortable, quiet and there are no pets or wild animals. I love the hoggies but they are hard work, especially when they need bottle feeding or are sick and need medicating.  .............. I wonder how long it will last

07/05/2014 at 19:26

Congratulations HHare - a job well done - have a glass of something to celebrate 

07/05/2014 at 20:45

I think you have done a good job,well done! wish I could see some where I am ,have not seen any for years .

08/05/2014 at 09:10

Well done Hartly!

08/05/2014 at 10:00

Yes! Good on you hartleyhare 

08/05/2014 at 16:38

I'd love to host a hog in the garden, to deal with the slugs, but where do I get one?  I live in a small town, not far from a riverbank; even if one did visit, it would just wander away down the hill again.  So what can I do to be hog-attractive? 

08/05/2014 at 16:44

Hedgehogs don't actually eat a lot of slugs and they're not terribly good for them as they can harbour lungworms, but they do eat lots of weevils and beetles and wireworms amongst other things.  Hedgehogs actually cover quite a large area in their nocturnal wanderings, but if there are hedgehogs in your area and they can get into your garden, and your garden has a shallow bowl of fresh water and some hedgehog food put out every evening they'll find it 

If you want them to stay longer you can make sure there are areas of thick undergrowth and leaf litter for them to sleep in during the day and log piles or hedgehog houses for them to hibernate in.  

Oh, and don't be in a rush to tidy up the garden in the autumn after the leaves have fallen - if we rake up all the leaves what are the hedgehogs going to build their nests with? 

08/05/2014 at 16:49

Thanks, dove, but won't leaving out dishes of food just/also attract rats?  I know there's a crowd of them round our way, and frankly don't want to encourage them.  What's the best hedgehog food, anyway?  Cat food?  I have a small pool already.

08/05/2014 at 16:53

If you have rats then I wouldn't put food out until you know that you have hedgehogs that visit - ours seem to have quite a routine - we can almost set out clocks by them - and we can put food out just half an hour before they turn up.

We mix proprietary hedgehog biscuits from the GC with chopped peanuts, sunflower seeds, raisins, dried mealworms and broken up banana chips.  Some people use meat-flavoured GoCat or meat variety tinned cat food.  

08/05/2014 at 17:05

Thanks again.  But I've never seen a hedgehog in the area; I'd need to import one from somewhere.

08/05/2014 at 17:38

Sometimes Hedgehog rescue organisations need to rehome hogs - google for your nearest one and offer your garden - they'll come and check your garden out to see if it's suitable 

08/05/2014 at 17:41
08/05/2014 at 18:23

I have been lucky enough to have  hogs for  the last five years or so, they sleep at the bottom of the garden in a ready built home and under a  shrub,,.I put plenty of leaves in the autumn as near as I can and they reward me by coming every night  just outside the patio doors to eat leftover bird food, ie mealy worm raisins sunflower hearts suit , plus dried cat food .one year I had mum and three babes,  lovely. 

08/05/2014 at 18:33

All credit to you Hartleyhare. I was delighted to have two hogs in the garden a couple of nights ago, a courting couple I think, I have had singletons before but not for 2-3 years. I had left over peanuts which I had dropped under the hedge basically so the pigeons didn't get it so following comments above I assume the hogs hoovered them up. I didn't want to put meaty pet food down as I worried about rats so some good suggestions for alternatives thank you.

09/05/2014 at 12:30

I haven't seen mine since I last posted about the possibility that I had a little house which I had spotted in the garden and learned from Dove that it was in fact a hibernaculum - well today in a garden centre I spotted one made of wire and artificial leaves it was moulded pretty much into the shape of what I had seen in the garden - domed squarish/oval in shape, narrowing into a small neck for an entrance.  I was tempted to take a photo, I didn't but I was quite excited to see such a range for wildlife in the shop ( it was just under 20 euros).  As the birds have such a huge appetite at the moment I enjoyed stocking up from an amazing variety of nuts, seeds, fat balls and....having finally got over myself ...managed to bring home a tub of mealy worms for my resident robins.  But is it true though that they lie low in the summer because they are more vulnerable?  Perhaps it would be dangerous for them if I were to tempt them out of shelter? Maybe they only need our help in winter.  It was just something I read when it crossed my mind that I hadn't seen them for a while.  And when they were here they didn't seem to enjoy the fat balls as much as the other small birds and that's why I wanted to ensure I had something they liked that was nutritious. 

09/05/2014 at 13:23

Me neither flowering rose - I love them though and would dearly like to encourage them into my garden too, but I fear there isn't enough space or food for them there...and next door both sides have dogs, so can't build any fence hedgehog holes. 

I think this site is wonderful and read it wistfully, imaging the day I can have a hedgehog or two passing through.

http://www.hedgehogstreet.org

What a lovely job you have, OP!

09/05/2014 at 18:20
Lavande wrote (see)

I haven't seen mine since I last posted about the possibility that I had a little house which I had spotted in the garden and learned from Dove that it was in fact a hibernaculum - well today in a garden centre I spotted one made of wire and artificial leaves it was moulded pretty much into the shape of what I had seen in the garden - domed squarish/oval in shape, narrowing into a small neck for an entrance.  I was tempted to take a photo, I didn't but I was quite excited to see such a range for wildlife in the shop ( it was just under 20 euros).  As the birds have such a huge appetite at the moment I enjoyed stocking up from an amazing variety of nuts, seeds, fat balls and....having finally got over myself ...managed to bring home a tub of mealy worms for my resident robins.  But is it true though that they lie low in the summer because they are more vulnerable?  Perhaps it would be dangerous for them if I were to tempt them out of shelter? Maybe they only need our help in winter.  It was just something I read when it crossed my mind that I hadn't seen them for a while.  And when they were here they didn't seem to enjoy the fat balls as much as the other small birds and that's why I wanted to ensure I had something they liked that was nutritious. 

I think the hog house you are referring to is a Hogitat. Truthfully they are really not the best houses to buy, the design is not the best for a hog and they are not weatherproof at all. I bouoght one and quickly abandoned it. The Chapelwood is another bad design, entrance is too large and its badly constructed so leaks. Its possible to weatherproof it though and make entrance smaller. I use mine as an indoor house now. There are much better houses available for only just a little more than the price of a Hogitat. I have 2 Ark Wildlife houses and they are a brilliant design and very sturdy. However, all hog houses regardless of design or make will need additional weathproofing, roof felting or pond liner. The design you should be looking for is a house that has an entrance corridor leading to a separate sleeping chamber. The  'door ' to the entrance corridor should not be too big as predators may be able to get in. I'll take a pic of my houses and post on here for you and others to look at. There are other houses of course that or of equal quality.Long term I think its best to spend more on a house that will last longer given our climate.

Hedgehogs do not lie low in summer, their abscence from your garden is usually down to making babies activities . ALso during summer there are more natural foods around for them so they are not so dependant on foods provided by us. But I am not sure if you are referring to hogs or Robins in  your post ?

I wanted to write something about slugs/snails, internal parasites and hogs, just to go into it in a little more depth so as to share my knowledge ( such as it is ). and eduacte people about this. Somewhat busy at present so will do it later.

10/05/2014 at 08:27

Thank you for all that information Hartleyhare - I must admit I did consider buying the house, then I thought if the hedgehog had managed to build such a good one him/herself it would probably be more benefit to ensure that the garden was as friendly and safe as possible to overwinter in.  I love the fact that the hedgehog can make a far superior house than we can

I did jump subject a bit - I was talking about the robins lying low but you answered the question that should have been asked at the start and I am delighted to know that my hedgehog is creating its little family and that's why he has not been out and about much. 

Thank you again for this information and if ever you do have the time to write about slugs and snails etc I would really appreciate it as I'm sure many others like me would.

email image
18 messages