London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
24/10/2013 at 23:49

Is it too late to make a hedgehog house?  If not, where can I find instructions?

Thank you.

25/10/2013 at 00:31

The BBC Naturewatch keep advertising that they have instructions, and the RSPB do too - this link takes you to a hedgehog rescue site though and they have instructions for a wooden one (which looks as if it would take a bit of skill) and some instructions for the handicraft challenged .... I'm pretty sure it isn't too late yet, it still feels autumnal rather than wintry.  There are also lots of hedgehog homes for sale on ebay etc but they look fairly pricey for what is at the end of the day a glorified box!

http://www.hedgehog-rescue.org.uk/houses.php

25/10/2013 at 06:51

Lots of helpful info here http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/help-hedgehogs.html

We have a bought wooden hedgehog house, and some that we've made ourselves - both types have been used by the hedgehogs.  There are some basics requirements, and it's good if it can have a 'tunnel' inside it to ensure safety from cats, dogs and foxes.  Correct siting is important, so it doesn't fill with water, and is snug and not exposed to the coldest temperatures - but all the info is on the website. 

25/10/2013 at 09:27

I have a hedgehog using an old disgarded flower pot for many years.  It is a large terracotta pot that had broken around the rim and I had turned it upside down and plonked it behind a plum tree.  To my total surprise a hedgehog took in grasses and ferns and set up home which it or it's descendants having been using for many years.  No sign of it hibernating yet this year.

25/10/2013 at 10:33

I have built a hedgehog house and to my suprise it now has an inhabitant! we have 3-4 hedgehogs in the garden per night, they are eating dog food, mealworms, chopped nuts and fresh water.My question is ... when do we stop feeding them, as the one in the box only seems to be eating the food near the box and then returning to the box. We dont want to interfere with the hibernation

25/10/2013 at 21:00

They won't hibernate properly until the weather gets quite a bit colder - but it seems that your hedgehog has bagsied your box  

Don't stop feeding them until the weather is really cold and they have stopped visiting the feeding stations for a week or so.  The longer they keep feeding in the autumn the better able they will be to survive a long hard winter.  They'll hibernate when the weather and their bodies tell them to - feeding them won't stop it happening. 

26/10/2013 at 11:11

Just a quick question how big a gap in the fence do hedgehogs need to get in to your garden?

26/10/2013 at 11:15

Don't think it has to be too big UW. About 6" or so. I'm sure someone will correct that if i'm miles out! My problem is that b****y cats come in as well through the gaps I leave under the trees.  I've got a nice quiet little corner by the shed so I'm hoping I might get a visit from one now and again.

26/10/2013 at 11:19

urban wildlife  . are you in cheshire 

26/10/2013 at 11:45

I'd say 6" x 6" is fine  - our builder cut a little archway , and built some steps and ramps for the Shady Bank  - yes cats come through too, but pretty warily as I might be the other side !!!  

27/10/2013 at 12:43

Thanks to Fairygirl and Dovefromabove, thats great thanks.

Archiepem, born and lived in Cheshire for many years before moving to Rochdale.

27/10/2013 at 23:23

its never too late to build a hog house. please re-site bonfires before lighting, they are very tempting homes for hogs. they only hibernate because there is no natural food so sometimes dont if food is available particularly if they havent gained sufficient weight. if you see one during the day contact your nearest wildlife rescue as a matter of urgency there will be something badly wrong with it.

28/10/2013 at 00:02

I have a "mini bonfire" on my plot that was planned for hogs to hibernate in.  I've never disturbed it so have no idea if it's used or not.  It's right in the dingy corner mind you so they could be having all kinds of booze fuelled parties and I would be none the wiser.

28/12/2013 at 09:50

I bought a hogilow that was shown on Autumnwatch last year. In the first year I had nothing. However this year i moved the box and I now have a little visitor all tucked uo  so pleased. I also have a massive pile of logs after removing a rather large Leylandii hedge. Hopefully I'll have hedgehogs in there too

28/12/2013 at 10:03

Great news Michelle.  Anything we can do to try and increase hogs is good news.

15/01/2014 at 16:21

The majority of hedgehog rescues will encourage you to supply fresh  water and food at all times. Even when a hedgehog has started to hibernate (and they dont all do this) they can wake periodically and waste valuable energy looking for food. I tend to stop putting cat food out once i notice the lack of visitors but i then put dry cat biscuits out instead as these can be left for a couple of days if uneaten.....i then trow them on the lawn for the birds to finish off.  

15/01/2014 at 16:35

I am still putting out hedgehog food nightly. My hedgehogs show no sign of hibernating! The bowl is empty each morning.

15/01/2014 at 17:16

We had a hedgehog hibernating in our compost bin last year and I'm not sure whether he has taken up residence again. I thought about putting food out but we have had a problem with rats before and I don't want to encourage them again. What can you do about that problem?

15/01/2014 at 18:28

If it helps here are my plans....

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35980.jpg?width=341&height=350&mode=max

Have Fun!!

Best

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/

Yesterday at 22:47

Hello, I've set aside an old bucket under a pile of twigs and next to some straw. However, I am renovating the garden and would like to keep working over winter on various projects. How far from, or close to, the hedgehog house can I work and how do I tell if anyone has moved in? Thanks

1 to 20 of 22 messages