1 to 20 of 27 messages
    23/01/2012 at 16:47

I've just been reading about hedgehogs. Apparently surveys show that hedgehog populations have dropped by almost 50% over the past 25 years. One of the things you can do to help them is to leave a small gap in your garden boundary so they can move around their territory. It only needs to be 15cm high. Has anybody been making changes to their garden to help hedgehog populations?

23/01/2012 at 21:46

I have been leaving cat food out every night and I have made two holes at the bottom of my fence also my back gate has been raised so they can get under it too..

Also the biggest hog killer is garden ponds, and  slug pellets..

so make sure the little fellas can get out your ponds and dont use slug pellets at all..

24/01/2012 at 00:40

I've made a house for my hogs (as I had a family living in my garden last year) but they still nested under my shed, their always find their own little house as they are quite resourceful little monsters!!! Also they have a pebble edge in case they fall in my pond as the baby hogs seem 2 b drawn to water.

24/01/2012 at 10:25

My pond has a beach area and a very gradual incline.  The hedgepigs tend to like snuffling round under my bird-feeder though I have put a home-made food out before - it was eaten but I'm not sure whether it was the pigs or rats (eek).  Haven't used slug pellets for over 20 years and since I turned my patch over to totally wildlife-friendly, I haven't had much problem with slugs at all....I do put copper tape round my hosta pots though.

08/02/2012 at 14:41

Hi all, you can help the experts monitor hedgehog populations by taking part in their hiberntion survey. find our more here.

Kate

13/02/2012 at 12:02

I have 2 hedgehogs at home named Sonic and Knuckles and they are just nice.  I actually though it breeding them but kind of not worked well as the female hedgehog was not really open that much to the idea.

I just cage them on a usual cage and that is about it. Though a little bigger compared to what I see on normal stores and some breeding farms.

17/02/2012 at 16:38

Hi animm74 - just to clarify - the hedgehogs you have are the pet breed not wild native3 hedgehogs?

24/03/2012 at 00:20

They're Back!!!!! Ist sighting last night of my first baby hog of the year, Put some food out but he looks of a healthy weight (from a distance), don't want to get to close, I'm so pleased my wildlife approach to my garden must be working . Yipee...

10/04/2012 at 16:11

Our regular hedgehog is back now daily, I must just remember to keep putting food and water out

http://dave.harris.net/hedgys-first-visit-of-2012/

Or if you happen to be awake at 4am you can check out the live feed:

http://dave.harris.net/hedgehog-camera-live-stream/

11/04/2012 at 21:53

Porridge Oats mixed with a little veg oil is good for them also.

You can purchase or make a hog box.

21/04/2012 at 17:42

Can anyone advise, we took in a very small hog at the start of the winter last year and he has spent the winter hibernating in the garage, he came too fully about 3 weeks ago so we have made him a run in the garage.  When should we release him/her until 2 days ago we was still getting freezing conditions I dont want to release him too early but dont want to keep him locked up either.  He is a good weight and clears his bowl of cat food everynight plus hedge food sprinkled on top every night

21/04/2012 at 17:49

As far as I know you should release him now - late frosts don't matter, they can cope with them.

22/04/2012 at 10:01

Hello Dave Harris, great video. I don't have any hedgehogs in my garden, but love them

23/04/2012 at 09:57

Hi Lisa - great work! I would release him now but keep leaving food and water out at night for him in case he wants it.

Kate

23/04/2012 at 15:16

My son got instructions from the internet and  made me a hedgehog house for Christmas  We have put it where we know a hedgehog hibernated last year - do you think we have done the right thing,please?Do hedgehogs actually use them?

Pam x

23/04/2012 at 16:28

Hey Hollie, thank you, i think my next project must be an automated feeder as i keep forgetting to feed ours maybe one for me for over the summer!

We have a field mouse coming in regularly, the other day i had almost 2 hours of footage at bout 3am, the field mouse would come in, look around, go to the food bowl and then run out, then a minute later do it all again, and this repeated for the whole duration. I couldnt work out why he was doing this until i went to replace the food. I took the lid off and found that above the "anti cat shelf" that i had installed, the mouse had be climbing up and storing his own stash of food, where he knew the hedgeghog wouldnt be able to fit and get it. The sneaky mouse had been stealing all hedgy's food, very crafty!!!

Lily, when I initially put or hog house "live" it took about a month for the first visitor to arrive. I used cat food, fresh water and put lots of twigs and leaves in it to make it more "authentic", I also put some food in and around the entrance to the house to attract a hog!

26/04/2012 at 20:35

Thanks for the info on releasing my hedge but my next question is we fouind him 20 mins away from home and this is where I would like to release him back to, but I wont be able to leave out food?  And should I wait till this awlful rain has passed as the ground is saturated up here (Glenlivet Scotland)

27/04/2012 at 14:47

Hi Lisa, how much does it weigh? I've checked on the British Hedgehog Preservation website, and it says the minimum weight a hedgehog should be prior to hibernation is 450g (1lb), but that many carers like to get theirs up to a weight of 600g (1lb 6oz) before releasing them. So it follows that if they can survive a winter of hibernation at this weight, they can survive a wet spring, where there will be plenty of food for them. It's mating season for them now so, if it is a good weight, I would release it.

Kate

05/05/2012 at 20:20

Thanks fo rthat kate we are releasing him tomorrow night once the snow turns to rain he is well over 600g so he has the best chance he can, a hearty meal tonight and before he goes tomorrow should at least give him a very fall stomach.

09/05/2012 at 16:39

I love the hedgehogs and enjoy seeing them in the garden, the unfortunate thing is that they are one of the favourite foods of badgers. So if you have a badger sett nearby, you may well notice less hedgehogs in your garden. Badgers are also responsible for digging up Bumble bee nests and destroying them.

1 to 20 of 27 messages